RPM per industry

Degree
Hey,

I am thinking about starting a new site. Monetization is quite important for me. As I found, that most of you use RPM as a measure to value a site I was thinking about the question: Is there a study about RPMs for different industries? Is there an overview about a sites potential if you are in certain industry? (F.ex. I guess gambling/stock related sites might be pretty high)

What's your experience?

Appreciate your replies!

@algospider a quick google and I found this. Although related to Google Ads, you could surmise that the more expensive the ad, the more valuable the customer.

Note that the data is 10 years old, but I would guess still a pretty good indicator.

...Just looking at this infographic. Cord blood? What the heck is that about...

It depends on a lot of things, especially the type of monetization and how well you do it. That can vary wildly when it comes to affiliate product sales, versus services, sponsorships, subscriptions, etc.

Mediavine has talked about this to some extent with the display ad world. Let me try to find some info here...

The thing to realize is you have a Q1, Q2, and Q3 slump at the start of each quarter, so talking about RPMs in this fashion really needs to be done on average.

zazti8S.png

I'm having a hard time finding the chart I want but I keep finding others. This one should help you out some:

VPV74HC.png

Anyways, I can't find what I'm looking for and perhaps it doesn't exist. But Mediavine or AdThrive or someone had a chart with average RPMs per vertical like that graph above but with numbers on it.

You have to be thinking about other things that influence RPMs. In the relation to display ads again, the question becomes about traffic source, traffic quality, the number of ads you display, where they're displayed, the ad size, your general visibility and click-through-rate metrics, etc.

My point is, you can optimize for RPM like anything. One site I'm working in now, most people get $10-15 RPMs in this vertical. I'm getting on average $45 RPMs and some days over $50 RPM (hit $69.95 during Q4 holidays). Everything can be optimized and every penny can be squeezed out with multiple forms of monetization, etc.

The reason I'm showing display ad information is because it's the option with the most controls over the variables where the advertisers are very consistent. It's hard to control for someone showing 2 ads and someone showing 5 ads, or someone pushing people to Amazon versus to some in-house product with higher ROI, or someone with recurring monthly revenue, etc.

It's kind of an impossible question to answer due to all these variables and abilities to perform on the webmaster's side. But the chart above can give you an idea of what advertisers are willing to pay in relation to each other in different verticals.

Back