Rich or famous or both?

Rich or famous or both?

• Total voters
Degree
Hi everyone,

It s a question that doesn't make any sense, especially on a forum related to IM. It may seem a bit childish as well but this is a curious one for me.

Would you rather be very rich but anonymous or very rich but world famous?

This is very personal. I think I'd rather be very rich but anonymous. I couldn't accept being constantly spied on.

However, I think it's most practical to be rich and famous but not world famous. Like very few people recognize you. For example, drummers in rock bands. This allows you to reach circles that even money cannot reach.

Being famous to some degree would bring a lot of benefits both socially and monetarily, but even “somewhat famous” ends up meaning needing some amount of security detail, which sucks bad. Dimebag Darrel popped in my mind when you said “drummer”. Some nutcase murdered him because the nutcase's girlfriend thought Darrel was attractive. Darrel did nothing wrong apparently in this case. Good attention comes with bad attention for sure.

Being famous can get you all sorts of things being rich can't.

I voted rich, not famous then had to rethink about it.

Rather be rich and famous. You really can't buy fame, you can manipulate it, but just to snap the fingers and have it.. Hmm.

There's privacy concerns, but why not be rich and famous and move to the mountains for peace.

Keep in mind you can lose your wealth and if famous (have a captive audience), can create more wealth relatively easily.

I'd prefer rich and 'niche famous'. Not enough spotlights to get cancelled for saying dumb shit in public, but enough of an audience to be able to monetize at any time.

Dimebag Darrel popped in my mind when you said “drummer”.
That was horrible to be honest. Really sad. Needing a security detail and the pressure of fame doesn't seem that great to me.

I prefer niche famous after thinking about it. I know a guy who is a singer and has his own Wikipedia page. He drinks at this bar that I go to sometimes. I also know a famous YouTuber who has a few million subscribers. IMO it's nice to have fame and it is also nice to have privacy and a personal life too. You don't want some situation like Tiger Woods, where the press outed your affair before anyone else knew. That's fucked up.

See this depends on how rich. If we are talking like Rothschild/FED level rich, I would hands down pick that over being famous. You literally have connections with the elites of the world, and practically do whatever you want.

No amount of "fame" would be better than this tier of rich in my opinion.

I'd rather be famous (but not worldwide).

Being famous gives you endless opportunities, not least romantically. On the other hand, plenty of rich men are not attractive to women except golddiggers.

Money in itself is not attractive.

Where money is attractive is in what it infers.

Either in material: security, stability, excitement, travel, leisure time or in the immaterial: intelligence, risk taking, creativity, discipline etc.

Because we live in a capitalist society, people generally infer that rich people must have positive qualities, but I would argue this has changed with the rise of tech and financial speculation becoming mainstream.

If you're sitting in your bedroom in soiled underwear making millions, then that isn't attractive.

Case in point, I'd rather be famous (though not worldwide), because people are always curious about famous people, can't help it.

And fame infers more than modest wealth in terms of personal qualities.

It's easier for a famous person to become rich, than for a rich person to become famous.

I prefer rich and not famous. It's not true that you can lose your wealth easily. If you are smart is not hard to maintain.

I think you can lose your fame more easily lol. You can get canceled for whatever or people may get tired of you.

But it all comes down to personality. Some people are naturally more attracted to fame, and some just don't like the attention.

I can think of a ton of "famous" people who can't even afford a decent home.

Let alone how quickly that fame can turn into a negative disaster.

You don't need connections if you have money.

One of the biggest pro-fame arguments is that fame can get you money easier than money can get you fame.

But is that actually true?
Or are famous people simply more desperate to get rich than rich people are to get famous.

Leveraging fame to make money tends to come with way more unavoidable sorta abstract costs than other ways of making money. You can tap into fame to get stuff but it doesn’t really give you a free lunch. You end up having no control of the people around you and your time.

Money can buy u a lot of lunches.

Make me famous and rich!

I like to show myself on streaming platforms and I love it. So a rich gaming celeb would be awesome. Don't want to game daily but let me dream lol.

The best thing is to get to know new people and help them on any kind of level.

My wife started doing YouTube/Insta/Chinese social media about 10 years ago, it was exciting and fun for her for the first 2-3 years.

When she started getting recognized in bathrooms and deranged messages sent to her it was much less fun. She started to realize how every time someone spoke to her in public there were 5x more people that knew her and were watching pretty much anytime she was out in public in the places she wanted to be. She ended up stopping at that point.

It's hard to really comprehend the loss of privacy without experiencing it first hand I think.

But - there are definitely many things even moderate fame gets you that money does not.

I voted for rich but not famous. A good friend wants to become a famous DJ, hopefully, he does because having famous friends is the best of both worlds.

Rich and anonymous.

The fame can come when I get older, so I can become a variant of Hugh Hefner.

Rich only. Famous? I don't even want to be the center of attention in my family room

Back