Rework on Same URL or Write New Target Article?

Degree
I have a 1v1 article doing super well for the product search keyword on one side of the comparison. I want to write content more focused on just that one product to make sure I can be as relevant to the query as I can but don't want to risk losing my page 1 status.

Ex: if I were writing about shoes and had a "Nike sneaker vs Adidas sneaker" post ranking in top 5 for just "Nike Sneaker"

Would it be better to just rewrite the 1v1 page on the same URL targeting the one product or make a new one and wait however long Google needs to see this new article is more targeted for the search intent?

Currently leaning towards the first option but don't love the idea of the URL still showing the original product matchup intention.

If you go with the first option, you could just try to accept that the slug is fairly inconsequential and just let it be, simply because you run the risk of disrupting things by changing the slug (and dealing with a 301 redirect).

In my opinion, this is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" scenarios. If you want to try to improve the top 5 ranking, I'd publish a new article specifically about and optimized for the query and then link to it from the currently ranking page with the exact match anchor.

You may not win or improve your rankings, but you won't risk losing what you already have in this way. If the new one doesn't perform, the old one will still be ranking for the time being.

I agree with @Ryuzaki .

If your page is ranking well don`t change it. Moving up even a few positions on first page can be extremely difficult for some competitive queries and your content may not be the issue at all.

You could do some minor tweaks on your content, like adding some missing keywords etc (Surfer is great tool for that), but most likely you need more links to move the needle.

Back