Retiring from Military — looking for something new

Degree
Hello — I’ve been lurking around for the last couple days. This community has a lot of knowledge and I’m glad I found it. I have a tech background in the military, I’m a retiring warrant officer who works in the digital forensics/cyber field. I’ve found the idea of creating some type of website associated with Amazon referrals appealing. I am familiar with programming, devops, etc — I’ve just never published a website. For Amazon referrals is the website suppose to be built first before signing up as an affiliate? If so, is there some resources on how that initial website should look? Should it already be a finished product? If anyone has any advice for me about getting start — I’m all ears! Thanks!

Degree
I don't know anything about Amazon, but just want to welcome you to BuSo. Sounds like you have an interesting background as well. I could see myself leveraging that into a site about personal security/surveillance/internet security for parents. Hope you stick around, good luck!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
For Amazon referrals is the website suppose to be built first before signing up as an affiliate? If so, is there some resources on how that initial website should look? Should it already be a finished product?
Welcome to the club. Don't be quiet! The more voices speaking, the merrier.

Yeah, you need your site before you apply as an Amazon Affiliate, because you have to get approval based on your website first. After that you can add as many sites to your account as you want, but the first one requires approval.

The main reasons people get rejected that I see are two-fold. 1) Your content can't just be a rehashing of their own product listings. You have to be adding value. 2) People don't have enough content on their sites when they apply.

Regarding both of those items, it seems like Amazon isn't happy if your site has nothing but "bottom of the marketing funnel" content. So if you have 15 posts that are all "Product Review" and "Top 10 Best Products" then you're not adding much additional value or preparing the user to buy a specific item. That means Amazon is likely going to end up paying you commissions just for generating a click and not pre-selling the buyer, which they don't like.

On the other hand, if you come in with 30-50 posts, and half of those are informational content like:
  • How to Get the Most Use Out of Product
  • 7 Genius Ways to Use Product They Don't Tell You About
  • How to Use Product: A Picture & Video Tutorial
And stuff like that, you're likely to get approved. They've become more stringent in the past year, so I've heard. You need to come in like a real brand offering real value, versus a "thin affiliate site" that is only trying to rank for terms like "best product" and "product reviews." Those are fine, but you need that educational and informational content too.

Degree
I think you're also required to generate a certain number of clicks with 90 days of signup. Possibly a conversion as well, so it's nice to have some traffic (though I'm sure it's easy to fake).

Degree
Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone. It’s much appreciated. Personal Security for parents does sound interesting. I have teenage daughters, so I’m well versed in monitoring and just flat out saying no to certain platforms. Social media can really be toxic for children.