Researching market trends during 2008/09 recession

Degree
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I come from the Eli/BluehatSEO days -- I dabbled in the field over the last 15 years with some success but I've been out of it for the last 5+ years. At present, I'm working my way through the digital strategy crash course to get a general feel of the current landscape of IM.... what still works, what's new, etc.

I'm wanting to research search trends from the 08/09 crisis and thought I'd ask you guys for resource recommendations if you have any.

Thanks!
MisterB

Welcome back to the game. There's no escape!

I don't know of any way to get ahold of historical search volume trends in bulk, but maybe you could research which industries were impacted the most and pluck out their highest volume terms from Google Keyword Planner (the Adwords tool where everyone gets search volume from) and pop those into Google Trends and see which "basket" of keywords fluctuated the hardest.

That likely won't cover everything but it might lead you to some interesting or lucrative revelations nonetheless. I hope someone else has a better answer because this is a good question that could have a lot of use for other things too.

Ya just start playing around with Google Trends & watch for the dates on keywords with enough volume to create a solid trend/story.

bl5uJd3.png

Back