Redirecting an old URL to new URL on same site.

Degree
So here's the situation. I had a post on a site that really took off with natural links from some decent bigger sites. Let's say my niche is "blue widgets." I made the post "Best Blue Widgets of 2013"... and now it's halfway through 2014 and the new post isn't taking off nearly like it did.

So here's what I'm thinking about doing. I want to make a "Best Blue Widgets, Period" post that's not dependent upon a yearly date. And I want it to rank for that term "best blue widgets." There's no reason not to use the content from 2013 and 2014, remove references to dates, and add much more to create the huge definitive page. There's also no reason to not use the links and the juice that the old post had. So I want to set up a redirect.

I'm just confused. I've never dug this far into things. It took me a while just to get my FTP client to show hidden files, then I had to figure out how to save a .htaccess file with a period in front of it.

Now i have that but I don't know what to put in it. I've done a few searches and tried many things, and the problem is every blog out there has a different piece of advice, from mod_rewrite this to 301 that. I know I need a 301 redirect, but everything I'm seeing out there conflicts. I've tried a few solutions and none worked and there's no way I can just try them all till something works, because I won't know why it worked or be able to trust that it's working right.

Can anyone help me?

What I've always done in the htaccess is simply...

Redirect 301 old-url new-url

so for example...

Redirect 301 /best-blue-widgets-2013 /best-blue-widgets-period

I'm not sure if you can imply the URL path on the NEW url, but you can definitely do it on the old URL. The new one I THINK you can as long as it's not a different top-level domain.

You can set this up at the registar level and within cpanel if you have that too. Both are pretty simple and self-explanatory as you go through the process.

If its a wp site and your not all that techy clued up like me you can use wp redirect plugins. Old page 301 to new page.
The other option of registrar level redirect will also work.

Just go to cpanel and redirect it. Works for all kind of 301s I personally do so I can't see why it shouldn't work for you in this situation.

You should be able to do this via .htaccess or if you have windows hosting, IIS Manager.

Back