Recommend a marketing book

Callum Short

Founder @ Beambox.com
Degree
Just about to finish my current book, looking to purchase a marketing-based book next to expand my understanding of the industry.

I don't tend to like the 'read-bait' books e.g "How to be a millionaire", "the 4-hour work week" and shit like that. I like more theoretical and strategic books.

Any recommendations appreciated :smile:

Well if we are talking marketing in general and not just online I would have to say "Marketing management" by Philip Kotler and Kevin Lane Keller it's a bit high priced however there is just tons of awesomeness in it.

Definitely don't write off some "read-bait" books just because they marketed to the masses. For instance, those new to concepts like automation and outsourcing and the pareto principle and more will get a lot out of The Four Hour Workweek.

Another great one is The Millionaire Fastlane. It takes a look at the three financial mindsets out there in terms of psychology. It then takes the "fastlane" mindset and breaks down what needs to be done in mathematical terms to guarantee success. This is one of my all-time favorites. It has a cheese-dick title and cover, but it's killer.

Cashvertising is a MUST for anyone in marketing that's responsible for any copy, whether that be landers, ad descriptions, post titles, etc. Read this book over and over and over. Burn it in your brain.

Thought id read ca$hvertising after seeing it on wickedfire

Any other recommendations/courses?

Permission marketing & The linchpin of Seth Godin are both interesting books.

Launch by Jeff Walker. Its not super complex but gives a really good overview of product launches and the right way to do them. Also you get an idea of how to sell really high ticket products/personal coaching etc. A lot of the big Internet Marketers, self help coaches, etc. use the exact same formula and the book gives an excellent breakdown of the exact steps involved.

What exactly about marketing do you want to learn?

Just about to finish my current book, looking to purchase a marketing-based book next to expand my understanding of the industry.

I don't tend to like the 'read-bait' books e.g "How to be a millionaire", "the 4-hour work week" and shit like that. I like more theoretical and strategic books.

Blue ocean strategy, from good to great, the boston consulting group on strategy (a bit dry but contains so many marketing gems).

Thanks for the recommendations! I ordered The Millionaire Fastlane, Cashvertising and Trust Me I'm Lying for my next holidays.

Cashvertising is a MUST for anyone in marketing that's responsible for any copy, whether that be landers, ad descriptions, post titles, etc. Read this book over and over and over. Burn it in your brain.

Seconded. I have a hard copy permanently on my desk and a PDF of it on my Google Drive.

In addition to the other suggestions in this thread, I would also add Ogilvy on Advertising. It's old but still a great read.

The Brilliance Breakthrough by Eugene M. Schwartz

Another vote for Cashvertising here.

Someone recommended me The Brain Audit awhile ago and I still pick it up now and again. It definitely changed how I approach copywriting and CRO.

41WmHsmA52L._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You definitely have to read Psychology of Persuasion.

You can read tons of marketing books about technique, and still struggle if you don't have a fundamental grasp on human psychology and why people do what they do.

This book will turbo-charge your marketing techniques.

Trust Me I'm Lying by Ryan Holiday. 100% this if you want a better understanding of the industry.
Came to post this, and see that it's the very first recommendation.

Also, Tested Advertising Methods by Caples

• The Psychology of Persuasion
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing (old version, not updated for web)
Try to read books that have stood the test of time, rather than books that are touted by people that may or may not be the best person to recommend them. That's why you should feel confident in these two books - you may not trust or know who I am, so you may not value these suggestions simply because I offered them. But with a cursory glance over them you'd be able to see that they are massively respected by people across many different areas and have stood the test of time.

You'll get more out of a deep read of Cialdini's book than you will out of 10 books like 'The Millionaire Fastlane.' That's because you're learning principles and mental models instead of bits of a larger framework.

Back