Question about paid traffic with native ads

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
From what I've seen, Adsense often pays more than Native Ads, so why not create links to related posts throughout your site that mimic the look of Native Ads?

Assuming you have a good number of posts, the related articles should be varied, and relevant enough, to have users clicking on them. Which keeps them on your site viewing more Adsense ads.

Perhaps I'm missing something here. Other than revenue diversification, why would a publisher use Native Ads (Taboola, Outbrain, Content.Ad, etc) instead of linking ONLY to their own content?

You should be doing that to increase page views.

It's not just revenue diversification. A lot of sites aren't profitable with adsense alone. Or they make more money with adsense AND taboola.

I see. So in the end, some companies do make more by having Native Ads with Adsense. Makes sense. Looks like I have more testing to do, hah.

Thanks for the info.

Native Ads also have hugely different eCPMs for different sites and take much longer to adjust than Adsense. I buy a ton of Native Ads and the difference between a top teir publisher like HuffPost vs a brand no one has really heard of that gets many visitors through paid ads themselves is HUGE. I can be profitable at .75 CPCs on HuffPost but have to pay under .05 CPC to have the same performance on no name sites.

You are going to end up getting paid way less until advertisers start learning your traffic is "good" and white listing your site on campaigns with high CPC bids vs the low CPC RON campaigns. Depending on the size of your site this can take a little while.

Also you can always just duplicate the ads/pages for the main verticals in native ads and run them yourself on your site. Skin/Diet/Muscle/Diabetes/Erectile Dysfunction/Car Insurance/Mortgage are the big US verticals and you can build the pre sell page yourself and find the similar enough advertisers to work with.

You have to consider though... you might get paid $0.06 cents per click on Taboola, every click.

However, on your own "related posts", those clicks don't pay until they end up on the next page and THEN click an Adsense. Say those clicks are worth $1.00 but only 3% of those guys click an Adsense ad after coming from your related posts.

So on 1000 clicks on Taboola, you earn $60.

On the same spot with your own related posts, 3% of those 1000 becomes 30 clicks and you earn only $30.

That's why people are willing to run those ads, especially when its crap quality traffic coming from social explosions or landing on an information site that has nothing to sell.

Ah! I assumed that Native Ads worked link Adsense Text Link units, where you get paid when the user clicks a second link. Didn't realize you get paid just for the user clicking the Native Ad.

Back