Quarantine Learning

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
Is anyone taking any courses, using the extra time to learn new skills, personal development, etc? I imagine for a lot of us who work from home, it's not the biggest lifestyle change in the world, but with less going out or visiting friends etc - maybe some people have a few extra hours on their hands, here and there.

I started the Introduction to Philosophy class on Coursera, and that's it for now except for the occasional quick refresher on Skillshare.

I've talked to a couple people who are learning to code, and just noticed that Codecademy is donating 5 memberships to impacted workers for every one that is purchased. Maybe we can post other noteworthy promos or deals here for online education stuff, and maybe if a few people are interested in taking any of the same courses we could start a separate discussion thread (or keep it here in this one.)

Not really learning, but Im taking the time to do a bunch of random things that I never got to.

Like painting my house ( inside ) and redoing my decks. While it's prob not what you call learning, I have went on YouTube and learned the differences in different paints, ways to condition my decks, which pads go on my wood floor polisher/buffer for what issue/problem.

Also things like how to properly build a retaining wall and how to redo my brick patio ( realigning the pavers, etc )

I also learned the proper way to redo my cedar shingles on my house too.

So I've been doing a lot of "home stuff" and learning on YouTube about it and then taking action on it.

@eliquid Nice, that's definitely what I'd call learning! Probably a lot more practical than what I'm learning, too. Are you generally handy with DIY sorta stuff but too busy, or is this a newer interest?

It's hit or miss for me when it comes to being good at projects around the house, but it always feels really good to do stuff like that vs sitting at a keyboard all day, there's something extra rewarding about having a physical tangible output that you can look at and enjoy and take pride in, imo.

Are you doing any patterns or anything with the bricks? Redoing shingles sounds like a big project.

I'm planning some garden stuff, that's about it, I have these hanging planters and I'm trying to come up with as many places in the yard to hang them as possible. Last year, I did stacks of milk crates on either side with hand railings or pipes between them for the planters to hang from. Also, I have a garden bed made from a cross-section of a giant pipe (I guess from a sewer or something, it's about 6 feet wide), laid sideways about a foot tall, and filled with dirt for planting in. I'll post a picture of that when it's not filled with weeds and leftovers from last year haha.

I'm learning some more coding, Golang and more on servers/AWS/Docker. Also redoing the internet/wifi/APs in my house, so learning some stuff there, and been fixing some plumbing stuff like gaskets and other maintenance I never have the time to do normally.

Back