Product vs Content?

Degree
Hi Everyone,

Just joined yesterday after reading the digital crash course day 1.

I’m not sure how to go about this but I’m torn between starting a product (then testing with ads) vs building out a niche website with content like this website suggests. Long term i have been told that starting a product is the best route as it doesnt require you to constantly pump out content and is also more scalable.

I also noticed that many on here advise new entrants to pick something they are passionate about (As long as it pays)..

I have a few ideas but not too sure what business model to choose:

-What type of model would work best for someone that currently works full time and only has about 2-3 hours during the week and 10 hours on the weekends of free time? (Basically looking To leverage time so that i can transition to full time within 3 years)

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from any one that can help

I’m not sure how to go about this but I’m torn between starting a product (then testing with ads) vs building out a niche website with content like this website suggests.
BuSo doesn't suggest any approach. We just talk about what we're doing. We have SEO's, PPC guys, affiliate marketers, people with their own products, services, and SaaS's. We have spammers and authority site builders, brick & mortar people, agency owners, so forth. It all works if you work it.

I'd say your question largely depends on how much cashflow you generate and how much you can "float" to the PPC networks while waiting on your own revenue to clear. If you're processing payments yourself, then it's fine. But some networks or processors will withhold the money. You might see a Net-30, Net-60, (I even have a Net-90 myself) where you make money on the first of the month, it clears at the end of the month, then you wait two more months for a payment. Can you spend money for 90 days without getting any back?

It's not just that though. They're two different animals. A product + PPC requires constant testing of new creatives, constant optimizing of campaigns, dealing with people copying you and burning out your campaigns, etc. But we have members making millions doing it ($15k profit per day). It's a far more active and pro-active approach.

SEO is more passive and reactive. We don't suggest ever solely doing SEO without other forms of marketing due to this to most people. Some can work at scale and understand the game well enough to make it work, but why not exploit other methods of immediate attention?

What type of model would work best for someone that currently works full time and only has about 2-3 hours during the week and 10 hours on the weekends of free time?
You'll need to create more time for either method, I would think. A part of me wants to say that PPC + Product is better for you, but you'd need to be checking your campaigns and optimizing them daily at least. I'd want to peek in twice daily. Otherwise you'll have to keep your spend and frequencies so low that it'll take you too long to get the data to optimize.

With the content model, you can outsource content and pay someone to post it and even pay for links in your 2-3 hours of time. But you also need skills to understand how to do things like on-page optimization too. You'll still be involved and it'll require time.

PPC and a product have the potential to make you gobs of money fast and lose it fast too. The content game can make you gobs of money but will take time to build up. Neither are guaranteed and will require as much time as anything else does to master them.

There's no clear answer, and relatively few people make it full time, but you do have the advantage of having a job that pays you money, which means you can afford to spend money. That will accelerate your journey if you can spend it well and wisely.

Ryuzaki,

Thank you for the detailed response. By 2-3 hours during the week i meant.. 2-3 hours everyday after work. I work from home now so checking ads / statuses shouldn’t be an issue. Pretty much Willing to fully dedicate the weekends to this as well (5+hours each weekend). I have the energy and will (Still working on skills)..I just need some help pointing the ship in the right direction.

My skills:
- Phone sales / prospecting (Currently working in sales and over 100% OTE for the year)
-Fitness / Nutrition (10% Bf year round.. no drugs.. Not Really sure if this is a “skill” or just a hobby)
-Videography / photography (used to shoot video content for EDC/festivals back in college)
-Skincare / Grooming (I know quite a bit about skincare Because my aunt is a board certified dermatologist And used to rant about her industry everyday when i was growing up.. I’d always listen and google everything.. (I actually creeped out a recent fling when she found out i knew more about it than her)...Also used to be a part time barber in college for side money.
**I’m still a bit young and willing to learn new things. Currently 24.

My passion:
-Not sure. I‘ve found that I usually get passionate when i become good at something so i guess its a moving target.

My weaknesses:
-Writing. I am not the most creative writer. I have read copywriting books During this civil lockdown (cashvertising, great leads And adweek copywriters handbook) but i still can’t write anything close to amazing.

My failures:
1. I used to have 30k organic followers on instagram when fitness was just taking off. I was 19/20 years old at the time and didn’t know About online sales / how to monetize it. I ended up “selling out“ to a fitness company that gave me free apparel to post for them. Then they went bankrupt due to QC issues. I wouldn’t mind starting over but the whole ”instagram fitness coach” model isn’t appealing anymore. I’d prefer a model that doesn’t need me to Flex and post shirtless pics / be ‘on‘ all the time. (If i have to i will)...

2. I wasted 2 years when learning how to get in shape. Instead of finding someone that was the real deal and asking for advise.. I followed random Youtubers and whoever sounded like a “guru”. Luckily, i found a good mentor and made more progress in 6 months than i did in the past 2years. Thats why i joined this forum. To avoid a scenario where i waste years starting the wrong type of business

That being said, the verticals that could possible work are: Health/Fitness/supplements, Skincare/ Cosmetics. I currently have only $15K to start off for now. I’ve learned that it takes at least $40k to start a Legitimate product Business After successfully testing (i hope I’m wrong).. Otherwise content could possibly work.

As you mentioned in your reply, the goal is to make $$ and also get close to “mastery”. The short term goal is to make a monthly income so that i can prove to myself that it Is possible.

Dog. Just make music videos if you good at it. That markets fire.

EDM is a great keyword if you’re looking for a quick network rent flip. Combo it with a money item and you got yourself a winner.

Dog. Just make music videos if you good at it. That markets fire.

EDM is a great keyword if you’re looking for a quick network rent flip. Combo it with a money item and you got yourself a winner.
Thanks for the reply! I’ve talked to lots of people I used to shoot with. Not worth it. I currently work fulltime in a high end sales career. Looking for direction on something that doesn’t require massive time for money exchange. Meaning if I dedicate 20 hours a week to it I can eventually ease into it fulltime.

Videography was my hobby. Spending 10 hours searching for locations to shoot, consulting with the client, spending another 10 hours to find good locations.. renting high end lighting.. then another 10+hours editing the footage.. was great in college but not the path for me right now.

Anyone have the general idea/ crash course for a PPC product would be. Or is content / blogging the best route to go?

*currently on day 2 of the crash course

Almost done with day 3 of the crash course. Currently have roughly 20 pages of notes on the customer profile ... (their desires, the YouTube accounts they watch, the types of related products they buy, what they consider “expensive”/fair pricing, the type of Instagram influencers they look up to, the types of words that trigger them (for copywriting), other products they are likely to buy/like (for lookalike audiences in case I do a product)

BUT

I’ve also noticed that the competitors are mostly pushing products (not info blogs). The top 3 are ranked very high on google and amazon. But their blogs are extremely weak (not sure if this matters since they’re selling a products). I also signed up on all their “20% off” email pop ups and only 2 (out of 5 I’m currently watching) have decent follow up email marketing with relevant links back to the website.

My Question: I’m still new to online business & I’m am still trying to wrap my head around wether to do Info or a product and how that would be structured. What model allows for the best scale? (Assuming I go with health vertical.. skincare or supplement) As I mentioned before, I currently have a career.. it’s now work from home (due to covid). So I can dedicate more time to this. The product route means I may have to deal with order fulfillment, customer service, ads etc.. (obviously nowhere near that point yet). Info means I hire writers to deliver articles based on key words.

I don’t have issues with discipline or following through and I don’t mind learning the skills as I go along. Just need some pointers.

Back