Possible copyright issues

TacoCat

Bueno...
BuSo Pro
Degree
Hey,
I'm curious, could there be any possible copyright issues if I rip of a popular websites design, for example viralnova.

I'm not copying their code, I'm writing my own, but still, it will look almost identical. The color and categories could be different, but besides that all UI would be the same.

In the example of ViralNova, not at all, they're using this theme: https://mythemeshop.com/themes/sociallyviral/

Generally no, I wouldn't worry about it if you're going to be changing things up, but if you're concerned then just change it up a bit to make it your own. Especially if they're using a publicly available theme.

If you're straight up ripping an entire site's design and your site gains some traction you could get yourself in some trouble. If you're coding it from scratch and using them as an inspiration (Even a strong inspiration), that's fine.

BTW: I'm not a copyright lawyer at all and I'm not at all qualified to give you any kind of legal advice.

Last edited:
99.999% you won't have any issue. ViralNova has changed there design numerous times in the last year and it's all built on WP. They don't care.

The times you run into issues are:

1. You are trying to pretend to be someone else to create authority. Specially if you do this with the government you are asking for it.

2. Copying a design someone has used for awhile. A site that has had the same key design for awhile that isn't just WP is more likely to care about there design and sue. Also how much is the design part of there business? Copying a conversion funnel is different then copying a blog layout.

3. Copying someone that has plenty of money and has shown they sue people that copy. It's easy enough to look up court records. Some companies sue the shit out of anyone they can while others have never filed a single lawsuit. I'd certainly consider that factor.

Back