Poorly Converting Email Opt-in - Any Tips to Improve?

voLdie

Cody
Degree
Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on email opt-in forms on a blog?

Been testing across one of my sites with various "lead magnets", free shirts, templates built for the post (workout type program).

I am using both a dropdown top bar and inline forms.

I'm averaging a .44% opt-in rate across the site. I'm assuming this conversion rate blows.

Does anyone have any tips or offers / copy that works better for informational posts?

Also, has anyone seen any SEO effects from site wide dropdowns / popups?

I'm averaging a .44% opt-in rate across the site. I'm assuming this conversion rate blows.

How good is your traffic? Maybe the problem is not the email opt-in, rather the traffic quality?

Also, has anyone seen any SEO effects from site wide dropdowns / popups?

I have an popup opt-in and it never affected rankings as far as I know. Most of my competitors that are ranking on page #1 have opt-ins as well. I doubt Google will penalize you for having it.

Is the lead magnet something that the target audience would actually want? This is the first thing I’d address. Then, I’d look at the headline being used. Does the headline state that those who opt-in will receive their desired result? Or is it just, “Get a Free eBook” etc.

Is the lead magnet something that the target audience would actually want? This is the first thing I’d address. Then, I’d look at the headline being used. Does the headline state that those who opt-in will receive their desired result? Or is it just, “Get a Free eBook” etc.
The keyword is for a famous person in the fitness niche/health vertical.

I am offering a customized workout plan around that person's style of training. Sends them over a customizable Google Sheet.

For the general run of the site drop-down, I am offering a free T-Shirt.

How good is your traffic? Maybe the problem is not the email opt-in, rather the traffic quality?
It's nearly all niche relevant informational/comparison/review articles users from Google organic traffic.

It's nearly all niche relevant informational/comparison/review articles users from Google organic traffic.

What are your competitors doing? What are their offers? Are you able to A/B test different offers? If so, you should do that and go from there.

Free T-shirt might be a stretch, because you would need the person's address to mail them the t-shirt and some users probably don't want to give you that much personal information. Maybe try something that doesn't require them to send you their address. A gift card maybe?

The keyword is for a famous person in the fitness niche/health vertical.

I am offering a customized workout plan around that person's style of training. Sends them over a customizable Google Sheet.

For the general run of the site drop-down, I am offering a free T-Shirt.
What's the headline for the opt-in? Something along the lines of: "FREE ACCESS: John Smith's Personal Workout Program" or "REVEALED: How You Can Lose 7 Pounds in 7 Days Like John Smith" etc.

What's the headline for the opt-in? Something along the lines of: "FREE ACCESS: John Smith's Personal Workout Program" or "REVEALED: How You Can Lose 7 Pounds in 7 Days Like John Smith" etc.
Always been shit at copywriting so feel free to call me a moron.

Implemented some of the feedback here to make it a bit more targeted and results driven.

Also, removed the need for a physical address.

MODAL ACROSS ALL POSTS:

CDbM8wh.png

INLINE FORM ON A HIGH TRAFFIC PAGE:

mmXjQQ4.png

Cool - maybe add the value of the gift card on the copy as well. Test it out actually. Have an opt-in with the value and one without. idk

What type of supplement are you offering? Does it increase stamina? Muscle growth? I would change up the picture to better reflect the offer and add more details as to what the supplement is.

For the abs advert, I would either change the picture to something more attainable in 21 days, or take out the 21 days language. REVEALED: The secret to abs like {KW}. I need to think I have a shot looking like your guru to hand over my email. Or maybe try a before/after case study picture that fits your target audience.

Always been shit at copywriting so feel free to call me a moron.

Implemented some of the feedback here to make it a bit more targeted and results driven.

MODAL ACROSS ALL POSTS:

CDbM8wh.png

INLINE FORM ON A HIGH TRAFFIC PAGE:

mmXjQQ4.png
I think the free gift card seems too good to be true. If it's a contest, state something along the lines of: "GIVEAWAY: Free Supplement Gift Card ($50.00 Value!) Enter your email address below for a chance to win." The image should be a photo of the gift card.

For the workout program, I'd do something like: "REVEALED: How You Can Get Abs Like John Smith in 21 Days or Less! Enter your email address below to get access to the program for free." And the image should be an eBook/eBook cover.

The button text should be something like, "Send me the program" or something along those lines. Ideally, each user should feel as if the opt-in was written for them- not people in general.

Back