Plugin recommendations and requests

darkzerothree

DunkelNullDrei
Degree
Maybe we can make this an ongoing thread; I do not know.
Just let me start.

Recommendation
UpdraftPlus
Even the free version - I see no reason to change to the paid one, TBH - saves a lot of time when used for backups or domain/site transfers.
It has also saved my scrawny butt countless times with backups.

Request
I need a plugin to manage pages.
I'd love some tree layout, and the one I am using now is a pain!

WordPress plugins? I'm assuming...what kind of page management do you mean?

There are so many plugins out there, it all comes down to your needs really.

Which one are you already using that you don't like? I haven't really ever used a plugin to manage pages like that and would hate to give a recommendation of one that you were using. But just searching for those keywords brings up tons of choices, Nested Pages looks pretty neat. If you want something more specific or better functionality I would search Codecanyon.

Thank you for pointing out Nested pages.

The one I had installed was "Advanced pages" and .. urgh!

I talked about these at length here and linked to them, so I'll keep it short here. For Wordpress, I like:
  • Contact Form 7 - Easy to use and can integrate with Akismet for spam blocking.
  • Akismet - Spam blocking on comments, can be used for other types of text too like email.
  • TinyPNG / Kraken - Will optimize images you upload (I do it before hand but it's worth mentioning for those letting authors and editors take care of pics)
  • Plugin Organizer - Let's you enable or disable plugin by page and less granular. Great for global page speed boosts (why load Contact Form 7 on every page when its only used on the contact page, for instance)
  • WP Super Cache - the best of the caching plugins, maintained by Automattic, easy CDN integration
  • Better Wordpress Minify - if you can't do it by hand, this will help combine as many CSS and JS files as possible that properly enqueue and then minify them. Speed boost globally.
  • UpdraftPlus - Backups that work fine without a million interferences like BackupBuddy. The free version gets the job done fine, too.
  • Yoast SEO - The free version makes life a lot simpler on a lot of fronts but introduces some annoyances too. Well worth using overall to avoid having to code most of this stuff.
  • Advanced Custom Fields - Takes the WP custom fields to the next level with permissions, using them out of loops easier, etc.
  • WP-Optimize - Take a backup first and then run this database cleanup plugin and you'll see a slight global speed boost.

@Ryuzaki

Thanks a bunch!
I knew most of those, but the plugin organizer and the minify are new to me, and insanely useful!

I've just come across Clearfy - in their own words "Disables unused Wordpress features, improves performance and increases SEO rankings, using Clearfy, which makes WordPress very easy."

Also liking the paid WP Rocket for speed. I wonder how PerfMatters compares?

Back