Pimping out your skills vs. partnerships

BrainOrBrawn

BuSo Pro
Degree
There's a question that's been on my mind lately. If you possess a skill set, is it better to sell it as a service on subscription or find someone that has a skill or resources that you lack and partner with them?

I ask, because many people find the art of social engineering too hard or too time consuming. From what to say, to who to contact, I've never had a problem networking and finding who to reach out to and figure out what they want.

Most of the time, I've done it for pennies compared to what people were reselling my work for. Why? Mostly because I just wanted immediate money and to learn.

As I get more and more work, and better and better paying writing clients, I realize that besides writing directly, I enjoy other work whenever it comes to me. I can't decide if its better to after I build up a portfolio before starting a service or to just partner with someone who needs someone like me and work for/help them.

I've read every post of certain people on the forum, and it's given me alot of insight. I see many people here started making serious money once they found partners that complimented them. I imagine I could do the same. Right now I'm just spitballing ways to make more middle to long term money.

It's hard to find someone that will match your intensity and work ethic. They call it the 1% for a reason. 99% of people simply just like the idea of working for themselves or owning a company but won't ever take any action to do it.

A lot of the partners I had in the past were all talk. When it came time to work, they had a ton of excuses why they couldn't. It didn't work out.

It is a struggle finding the right partner.

You have to make sure they work hard, share the same goal and vision, are really motivated and hungry.

Bottom line is - You need to fit well together.

It's hard to find someone that will match your intensity and work ethic. They call it the 1% for a reason. 99% of people simply just like the idea of working for themselves or owning a company but won't ever take any action to do it.

A lot of the partners I had in the past were all talk. When it came time to work, they had a ton of excuses why they couldn't. It didn't work out.

It is a struggle finding the right partner.

You have to make sure they work hard, share the same goal and vision, are really motivated and hungry.

Bottom line is - You need to fit well together.

I see where you are coming from. But when you have found quality partners did it help substantially?

Maybe I need a deeper understanding of the different kinds of partnerships that happen/how they actually work versus the client and operator relationship I'm used to.

I'm considering doing an interview series of partnerships I find and analyzing how they work and why.

Usually these type of things lead to the interviewer asking fluffy circle jerk questions that lead to general replies. Im not interested in feel good puff pieces, I want to really do my research on each pair i interview so I can ask questions that can lead to actionable or at least insightful responses. Then I'd basically input my insight and wrap it up to help others in my situation have a few examples to look at.

At the least, it'd:
-help answer my questions
-build my portfolio up some
-showing my networking capability
-might lead to key introductions

Here's how it works. Imagine this scenario... *dream sequence initiated*

You're relatively broke, money wise, and find yourself in a strange room. I've set $250,000 on the table in front of you. You can choose to take that money. All you have to do is reach out and take it. There is also a Round Red Peg in front of you.

Another guy is at the table next to you, staring at $250,000 in cash and a Square Blue Peg. He also has the choice of taking the money, but he's interested in the other option, too.

The other option for both of you is that there's a third table with a box on it. Inside the box is $2,000,000. If you choose to take the $250k, you can't open the box. To open the box, someone has to insert a Round Red Peg at the same time another person inserts a Square Blue Peg.

The problem with trying to do this yourself is you don't have a Square Blue Peg. You don't even have the required two pegs. You only have one. And even if you could cram your peg in both holes, the round one isn't going to fit in the square hole and the color sensor will see it's the wrong color. There's only one way to crack the code to the two million... you need a partner.

You simply can't do it alone. You don't have the startup capital to pay the guy to put his peg in the box, and you don't have the credit to get the loan, etc. You either team up and take the synergy or you don't and take the $250k instead.

2 + 2 can equal 5 with the right partner. Hell, it can equal a lot more than that.

Here's how it works. Imagine this scenario... *dream sequence initiated*

You're relatively broke, money wise, and find yourself in a strange room. I've set $250,000 on the table in front of you. You can choose to take that money. All you have to do is reach out and take it. There is also a Round Red Peg in front of you.

Another guy is at the table next to you, staring at $250,000 in cash and a Square Blue Peg. He also has the choice of taking the money, but he's interested in the other option, too.

The other option for both of you is that there's a third table with a box on it. Inside the box is $2,000,000. If you choose to take the $250k, you can't open the box. To open the box, someone has to insert a Round Red Peg at the same time another person inserts a Square Blue Peg.

The problem with trying to do this yourself is you don't have a Square Blue Peg. You don't even have the required two pegs. You only have one. And even if you could cram your peg in both holes, the round one isn't going to fit in the square hole and the color sensor will see it's the wrong color. There's only one way to crack the code to the two million... you need a partner.

You simply can't do it alone. You don't have the startup capital to pay the guy to put his peg in the box, and you don't have the credit to get the loan, etc. You either team up and take the synergy or you don't and take the $250k instead.

2 + 2 can equal 5 with the right partner. Hell, it can equal a lot more than that.

This is a great example.

I also highly value a partner who has some traits that are the opposite of mine and can give me a kick in the butt when I get distracted.

-I wasn't always the best at saving money. My partner forced me to be.
-I am quite motivated but there are still times when I veer off my main focus.
-Having a second brain to come up with ideas that you may have never considered is always a plus.
-When you want to take a vacation and be away from work without checking things every few hours you actually can with a partner.

I see where you are coming from. But when you have found quality partners did it help substantially?

In my case - yes. She has a very specific skillset that I do not have and would take me 8 years to get.

I tried at first to keep 100% of the business and hired her as a freelancer. This worked for 6 months. I realized I needed someone with her skillset on board or it wasn't going to work. I pitched it to her, made it VERY clear what her responsibilities were and signed a contract.

1. 8 years is too long for me to acquire the skillset (Time vs Money)
2. She's really a hungry, go-getter, grinder
3. I made it VERY clear what her responsibilities were and signed a contract.

Back