Paid traffic outside of search and social? Push notifications and Native?

Degree
I stumbled upon some Youtube videos from Affiliate World 2019 about native and push ads. I always knew of them, but never really dug too much into them as I've been focusing mostly on search and social.

But after watching some videos on push and native, I'm not going to be able to rest until I scratch this itch and play around with them.

I'm just going to watch a few more videos, pick a couple of offers, and burn some cash; but can anyone recommend any resources on push and native?

Any other paid formats I should be paying attention to if I want explore paid traffic outside of search and social?

I've done a lot of this since 2008. Even more of it the last 6 months.

You want to stick with the ones a lot of the well known affiliate trackers integrate with, even if you don't use a tracker.

Why?

Because many other affiliates have been buying traffic from these native and push sources, that the trackers would have integrated with them already. And while you might not use one, it's a way to work with networks others have already "vouched" for basically.

For example: https://voluum.com/automizer/

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page and you will see some that Voluum integrates with. Do this with several other affiliate tools and you will have a good sized list.

You will need to burn some cash. Trust me.

Completely different than Search or Facebook, although it is more like Facebook.. with the exception you wont be able to fine tune details like audiences/interests and many other things. Think of it like an extremely generic and limited Facebook Lite with almost no reporting back which placements work other than a ID number for the placement.

And you'll have to spend money to see if those placements work.

Granted, some are a little better than others. But that's the overview for most native and push networks.

I'd stay away from managed networks too, you want to go self service at first to learn it before you hop into a managed solution where you get no control or reporting many times and have no clue what they are optimizing, if they are at all.

Every niche and offer works differently, so I do recommend that you will need to test all placements in a network before you give up too soon on some. My experience has been the ones that work will work out of the gate ( placements ), but you still want to test each one per network.

Also, run the offer by the network first. Many times I thought I had something killer to only put it up and wait for approval only to find Network A wont run it and Network B doesn't have placements for it. Etc, etc... wasting a lot of time.

Push - a lot of junk traffic. You will definitely need to test different networks. We ran some campaigns on propellerads, admaven and richpush (and probably 10 more networks with shit traffic). We could not get it profitable for tier 1 countries, although I knew a handful of people that could. Targeting is a huge issue as eliquid said, it's mostly spray and pray. Tier 3 countries worked better for us. It also depends on the offer you want to push too. We noticed it's easier to get cheaper offers to work than higher ticket (50 USD+) offers.

Native - the big ones have better quality (Outbrain, Taboola) but higher costs and bitchy ad reviewers. They force you to change the wording of your ads or change a part of your landing page a lot. Sometimes publishers are very cautious and blacklist anything they don't like. We bought a lot of ads on MSN and it was a top performing placement, until the publisher pulled us for no reason. They dislike anything that looks like an affiliate, so if you want to promote regular affiliate offers this is not the place. If you have your own brand then it's easier and I know a guy that ran crazy native volume selling dropshipped gadgets (those times are over now, don't even try :wink:).

Then you have MGID and revcontent which are easier to work with but have way poorer placements than Outbrain or Taboola. We have not touched these yet.

If you want to run non-US traffic there are a bunch of smaller, local native networks that usually sell placements on local newspaper sites. They have less traffic but at one point we bought all traffic they had cause it was converting so well. These are tough to find as you need a local to do the research.

You forgot to mention Pinterest. It's a mix of Facebook and native traffic quality and very easy to work with, at least that's what I've heard. It's on our list for a new product we are about to launch. I would check out Pinterest first as you don't need a large budget for testing.

Pinterest is Totally over powered for organic marketing. Best time investment you can make.

I’d like to see some paid spend combined with top quality organic execution reports.
Would be good for ideas.

You want to stick with the ones a lot of the well known affiliate trackers integrate with, even if you don't use a tracker.
That's a pretty clever way to narrow the list down. Thanks!

If you want to run non-US traffic there are a bunch of smaller, local native networks that usually sell placements on local newspaper sites
I do want to run non-US traffic. Had no idea these little ones existed. I got some friends with South American ties I'll have to put to work.

And thanks for reminding me about Pinterest. Always slips my mind.

There are definitely some amazing small networks you can find some awesome traffic from at a small volume for while. But about 98% of the small networks are basically existing to resell leftover traffic from the big players at a slight markup to suckers.

Taboola/Outbrain both have MSN as a publisher and that is where the vast majority of any conversions come from. Most of the publishers are junk. Revcontent has some good publishers as well but also mostly junk if you are looking for conversions.

If you are looking for arb traffic though they are all 3 good sources for cheap clicks.

Push traffic, just like native, the vast majority is cheap non-converting traffic. However just like native, there are large amounts of traffic that will convert as well, but I have no clue which networks/publishers have it as it's never been my think.

Definitely check out YouTube as well if you want conversions from your traffic.

Push traffic success definitely depends on the quality of the network you are working with. If you are still exploring, we are happy to help.

What's on the menu:
  • in house resources with the highest quality traffic;
  • minimum bid for CPC from $ 0.001 per click;
  • convenient notification builder;
  • lightning fast campaign approval.

Back