Pages vs Posts Wordpress Question

Degree
Hey guys,

I've been out of the game a long time and recently started up a new project. I'm using wordpress which, traditionally, I never really worked with much in the past.

The site I'm starting is going to have a bunch of regular blog posts, and some guides, etc. My question is, would it be bad or less ideal for SEO purposes to make my guides as regular posts, and then later have a /guides page where I link to individual guides posts? Or should the guides be pages too. Or am I overthinking everything?

Sorry if stupid question, but I keep slowing my progress on the site due to overthinking macro SEO strategy and not wanting to fuck it up earlier and carry on making simple mistakes continuously.

Thanks!

This is a common question.

For SEO, there is ZERO difference between a Page and a Post in Wordpress.

The two options exist only as an organizational method for you to use.

The key differences between the two is that Pages can have Sub-Pages, while Categories can have Posts. They both create a folder hierarchy in the URL like .com/page-name/sub-page-name/ and .com/category-slug/post-slug, respectively. I'm using Slug and Name interchangeably so don't get hung up on that, they're basically the same thing.

Here are some scenarios and how they may be used:

1) Business site - Has 10 boilerplate Pages like Home, About, Contact, Terms, Privacy, Services, Locations, etc. The rest are Posts and all belong to the Blog. What this does is gets the blog out of the way of the core content.

2) Directory site - Uses Pages for each of the 50 states of the USA, and sub-pages for the big cities within the states, as well as the boilerplate content. Posts are used for the Blog.

3) An SEO trying to get fancy - He might use the Posts for boilerplate content and make it so there's no category slug at all. It's just .com/post-slug/. Then he'd use the Pages to try to create Silo's like .com/dog-food/brand-reviews.

As far as Google knows, they don't. They have zero clue if you used a page or a post. At the end of the day, the content for either is stored in the database, injected into the template with PHP, and that is placed in specific spots inside the template between HTML which has CSS and JS associated with it. Post templates and Page templates are the exact same under the hood.

I have always found it easier to keep everything as posts and pages just contact, terms, etc. Far easier to administer IMO.

For SEO, there is ZERO difference between a Page and a Post in Wordpress.
As far as Google knows, they don't. They have zero clue if you used a page or a post.

Roger that. I think I really started to overthink it due to the sitemaps that Yoast SEO generates for the site. It has one /sitemap.xml that links to a /post-sitemap.xml and /page-sitemap.xml so google could theoretically tell how I organized it. My gut was telling me that it probably doesn't matter that much but like I said I keep getting worried over making preventable mistakes early that I carry on for a long time before realizing.

Thanks!

Back