Pages vs Posts for Topic Clusters

Degree
Are you home.com/pages/subpages
Or Home.com/Posts + Home.com/SubPosts

What are pros/cons

I used to be big in pages and it was getting messy with so many pages so I switched to posts but many of the tops sites on page 1 are back to pages/sub-pages

What are the advantages and disadvantages of posts and pages for content cluster in 2020 in your anecdotal experience>

It doesn't matter. It's not even about /pages/subpages/[icode] vs. [icode]/post-slug/. It can just as easily be /category/sub-cat/post-slug, etc. My point is, it sounds like you're using Wordpress and you can get that sub-folder hierarchy in many ways.

But at the end of the day I don't think it matters. I have sites that do both and neither have any edge over the other. The danger with using pages or categories in your URL is that you risk stuffing the URL with keywords. It's not a danger so much as an annoyance, because you can also end up with overly long URLs if you don't take a compromise on what you want to call the parent page or category.

The main benefits of not worrying about this are that you end up using the CMS "right" where you aren't stacking up a million pages and sub-pages. Those should be for boilerplate content and landers, etc. Everything else should be in posts and sortable by category (in terms of organization).

Also, setting your permalinks up as only /%postname%/ without a parent page or category makes it very easy to recategorize posts later on without having to deal with 301 redirects, which can upset your rankings, traffic, and revenue.

Back