Outreach with information dropping

Nat

Degree
In the future, I'm thinking about reaching out to some sites and offering to add them to a page in exchange for a link-back / guest post / something. In lots of scenarios, the more you try to validate and self-talk the more you diminish your authority.

However, if you're reaching out to a site and offering to add them to a popular page, is it generally expected to state the page's exact traffic stats up front? And if so, is it customary to attach a screenshot? Or to say, "If you're interested I would like to send you some screenshots of the page's traffic stats and user engagement?" Or to have prepared/link to a media kit?

Right now I'm leaning towards first email being something like this, "Hi First Name, One of our pages about topic xyz exploded over the past few months and we've decided to add some additional websites. If your company would be interested in some additional exposure, shoot me an email back and I can send you a media kit with more information. We're hoping to create some new relationships with topic xyz websites and think we would both benefit by referring each other some users. Sincerely."

Looking at it from both angles (as an IM as well as a business owner of other products/services) as a business owner that email seems really spammy - moreso, it sounds like you're trying to sell them something.

Most business owners (depending on the niche) don't know about IM, metrics, etc. I've reached out to people and they were more than happy to work with us just because we were a company that did not compete against them but would enhance their business. 9 times out of 10 (again, depending on niche and who you're dealing with), will not even ask for traffic stats.

If what you're looking for is a link, guest post, etc. then it may be just easier asking for one. If you tell them up front they won't have to pay for it, they'll think - no harm no foul.The only cost to them (for a lot of businesses who don't know how to run their own website) is to pay their web person to put it on their site.

Also, if you have some strong social media profiles, you can throw that in there too to sweeten the deal.

Back