Other sites duplicating my content

Discussion in 'Search' started by Michael, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Michael

•  
    Michael

Degree:
    I agreed to post an infographic for a site in my niche. Instead of posting the infographic, this guy just copied parts of my money page, then stuck a link at the end.

I'm not quite sure what this halfwit is playing at, but is this going to be an issue for me? Should I disavow the link if he doesn't change it?

Rosca likes this.
  2. nigeb

nigeb

Degree:
    Personally I only disavow in extreme cases where the linking site is toxic.

If you've been in comms with the blog owner, can you ask them to remove the dup content?

As a last resort you could report to Google via the "Removing Content From Google" page.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Michael likes this.
  3. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  
    Ryuzaki 女性以上のお金 Staff Member

Degree:
    I'd give him a chance to fix it to your satisfaction.

Also, syndication isn't going to hurt you, especially if it's not some cruddy auto-generated PBN site. The fact that it links back to you as the source nearly guarantees Google will figure it out. My understanding (with no real proof) is that Google may even set up an invisible canonical so that if he get's any links to his page, they'll ultimately count for your page.

I don't think it's a disaster. He's linking to you from it, so it's that less likely that he'll outrank you for it. There aren't going to be any duplicate content issues. Every big site is getting their content copy and pasted non stop every day from RSS feeds and what not. And still they reign.

Michael likes this.
  4. Wills

•  
    Wills

Degree:
    Do you have canonicals being generated for all your content?

5. stackcash

•  
    •  
    stackcash I Sell Words

Degree:
    I'm not sure how effective it is anymore, but you can use the rel=canonical tag for this type of thing too.

And, if the offending site doesn't want to work with you on the issue, you can always just send a DMCA notice.

Rosca likes this.
  6. Rosca

Rosca

Degree:
    I'd directly talk to the guy who's causing the problem. While it may not be a big deal in the larger scheme of things, it's best to talk to him about your concerns before he does something more drastic.

Give it about a week, if there's no change in his step, then you should either disavow the link to prevent further issues, or let the site continue doing what they're doing.

7. Jackv94

Jackv94

Degree:
    I would do as the others have suggested message him and try resolve this civilly.

If the owner doesn't sort their act out I would do numbers 3 and 4 from this article
    https://blog.kissmetrics.com/find-remove-stolen-content/

Hosting companies are generally very quick to get rid of people who are duplicating content.