Options, Options, Options (RE: Burn Your Boat Article)

Degree
One of the hardest things to learn or teach is good decision making both profesionally and personally.
So often I hear that experience is the best teacher and most perfectionists can understand the difficulty in trusting a decision if you are one constantly over-analyzing risk. To cut to the chase, I am presented three options for how my year will progress and I am stuck on the best option.

1. Full Time Job

As I gear up to potentially return to running projects after completing my higher education the temptation to keep working on my little projects and not go full force is substantial. The programming we face in university prods us in the direction of being just another part of the machine and playing that role for safety and security. I live in a beautiful area, not far from anywhere, in a meh apartment that is restrictive and pay about $200 a month in rent (which is 400 beneath what everyone else is paying not even including utilities) + say another $100 in utlities + 100-150 a month in misc. bs because things break frequently or repairs are needed. The pluses are the area, the cost permitting me to save money.

I was offered a position making pennies think lower side of mid xx,xxx a month working 9-5pm for a digital marketing company in my area with benefits. Now, if I were to take this position, it would be probably an annoyance/stressful including the boss. But, that would allow me in five-six months to be able to put aside a bit of money that I could then use the second half of the year on projects and just quit.

2. Run a small team for web property projects with a focus on local lead generation + work on my app project.

This is the most flexible. I possess the content marketing experience, the network, and could easily gather the capital of around $2-4k to float me for two months as well as start to build web properties , maybe work a part time job a few hours a week as my costs of living are super low. I already have clients that are interested in buying leads or just paying a retainer for help that I have helped before when I could in my free time. I also have the sales experience to get client lead and close.

3. The second with special attention to my app project. I have been writing the plan for an app project for two years. It is thoroughly researched and there is nothing on the market idea. It is patented and I already have design skins/examples. I have had a few VCs I pitched it to offer to outright by the patent as the idea is that solid and I know my market for this extremely well. I want to build it but need:

a) a iOS and an Android team that could develop it. If anyone knows of any that are solid please recommend them to be.

b) a way to live as the beta is being developed. I have two sources of funding and I am not sure as this will be the second app project I've worked on and the first I've ever founded and want to do this right.

To summarize my impetus:
1. What should be my focus/option?
2. Does anyone know any iOS + Android Development teams?

Thanks

Take the job. Guaranteed income. Work on your app in the evenings. Your expenses are insanely low. Get the job and you'll have tons of cash flow to get your app done.

You'll be taking a big enough risk with the app. Don't add on some SEO micro-lead-gen sites, or especially expect to be able to rely on them to sustain you and pay for the app.

I was offered a position making pennies think lower side of mid xx,xxx a month working 9-5pm for a digital marketing company in my area with benefits. Now, if I were to take this position, it would be probably an annoyance/stressful including the boss. But, that would allow me in five-six months to be able to put aside a bit of money that I could then use the second half of the year on projects and just quit.

Am I just reading this wrong or were you offered a job making $40,000ish a month with your living expenses around $500 a month and you're wondering how to raise enough capital to float you for a few months?

I think he mean't x, xxx$ per month since later in the article he talk about saving 2-4K.
With such low life expenses i'd say you are better keep the job while you work on either lead gen OR the app.

At least that's what I did for a serious 1 year where I lost sight of 3/4 of my friends since I wasn't ever out of the house or work haha.

Thanks for the responses. I was saying I already have the money for bills for a five months saved up to float off very comfortably and initial app capital. But I think I will take the position.

Take the job. Grind on everything else until it forces you to quit. Sleep later.

If you can't make yourself grind while you have a job - a few months down the road you will be taking a full-time job anyway.

Back