Old dog learning new tricks

Degree
Howzit everyone I just found this forum and boy am I glad.

Alot of what I am reading here goes right over my head, but I am starting to pick up some gems along the way.

I am a carpenter of 49 and a single dad that started looking for a way to start an online business about a year ago and got caught up in a lot of fake guru bullshit and promises of the "laptop-lifestyle" but all I have done so far is waste money and precious time.
Well maybe it wasn't entirely a waste as I now know of several ways how not to do digital marketing.

I started out doing a course in starting a digital agency but soon realized that this kind of business will soon be something that I would loathe doing, and then I started creating funnels for clickbank and digistore24 products and running ads to them but with no success so far.

Enough with the failures...I am here to find out how I can turn what I know into something that people will love to consume.
So here is what I can do:
  • I can build anything from furniture through to small boats
  • I am a tool junkie and can spend hours in the hardware store
  • I can teach most muppets to become half-decent craft men (although this can be a challenge in South Africa, we have 14 official languages and I only speak 2.5 of them)
  • I can fix just about anything
While researching a bit I found that D.I.Y. seems to be a huge niche or vertical not sure which, and I would like to monitize through tool sales ect.

I am going through the Crash course here on the forum...day2 now and already I feel like finally there is a spark happening in my mind. Mr @The Engineer thank you for a kick-ass article in day1, it certainly lit a fire under my ass! The bit about @Satvrn's journey was of great value to me. The words were strong and it felt like for the first time since I started this journey that this is the real truth! It's wierd how when you think its going to be easy, and its not, then you can easily become overwhelmed, but now that I know that it is not so easy, all of a sudden I have had a complete mindset shift and I am starting to see more possibilities.

Any actionable advice will be greatly appreciated, none of that "you can do it" or "just keep at it" crap please.
Thats it.

Sutra

On the edge of the sand
BuSo Pro
Degree
Sounds like you're an expert at building/fixing things. And it's something you love to do. There are a lot of avenues you can pursue but the first thing that jumps out to me is Youtube. People love watching those video. You can do it entertainment style, DIY style, or combination of both. There some EXTREMELY popular channels where some dude with engineering smarts makes some weird contraption records the process and rakes in the money. You could do something like that. Make it entertaining first, educational second. Work in affiliate sales, sponsored ads in your videos, etc. Create a facebook page and do the same thing to get even more ad dollars and affiliate sales. Chop up and repurpose your content for Pinterest, rinse and repeat. Lots redditors and other forums love that type of content so start looking into become a user and eventually funneling people to your website and/or videos.

Eventually build your brand big that you're selling your own products. Start doing some weird projects that are a benefit to a specific community - do some charity work. Notify all local news outlets. Get featured in some of the small outlets will skyrocket your popularity. Get known and become the next Bob Villa.

Lots of possibilities. How far do you want to take it?

Last edited:
Degree
Hey Swarticus! Welcome to here!
Same here I am newbie in this forum!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us
It make the newbie like me felt not alone in this path haha

Hope all of us can find the way that suitable for us and build the business that can help and impact people!

Degree
Still on YouTube, you can make stuff and then sell the plans of the things you make to the audience.

You can also setup a Patreon account and offer some perks e.g. behind the scenes stuff to your audience at a price.

I love this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkhZ3X6pVbrEs_VzIPfwWgQ

Check the video descriptions to get ideas on monetization.

Degree
Sounds like you're an expert at building/fixing things. And it's something you love to do. There are a lot of avenues you can pursue but the first thing that jumps out to me is Youtube. People love watching those video. You can do it entertainment style, DIY style, or combination of both. There some EXTREMELY popular channels where some dude with engineering smarts makes some weird contraption records the process and rakes in the money. You could do something like that. Make it entertaining first, educational second. Work in affiliate sales, sponsored ads in your videos, etc. Create a facebook page and do the same thing to get even more ad dollars and affiliate sales. Chop up and repurpose your content for Pinterest, rinse and repeat. Lots redditors and other forums love that type of content so start looking into become a user and eventually funneling people to your website and/or videos.

Eventually build your brand big that you're selling your own products. Start doing some weird projects that are a benefit to a specific community - do some charity work. Notify all local news outlets. Get featured in some of the small outlets will skyrocket your popularity. Get known and become the next Bob Villa.

Lots of possibilities. How far do you want to take it?
@Sutra, Thank you, this is what I have been thinking...started filming myself while making stuff and trying to get more comfortable in front of the camera.
Also, I agree completely with making it entertaining at first and have been learning about how to script and edit to keep things interesting for the viewer, like creating open loops in the opening scene with the big payoff at the end of the video.
It also makes sense to repurpose content across as many platforms as possible and I imagine that once I have a system in place, that pumping out content will become easier.
Great post!

Hey Swarticus! Welcome to here!
Same here I am newbie in this forum!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us
It make the newbie like me felt not alone in this path haha

Hope all of us can find the way that suitable for us and build the business that can help and impact people!
@Grace. Welcome to you too!
I am glad you got something from my post.
Have you decided on a path for your business yet?
What steps have you taken today that have taken you closer to your goals?

Still on YouTube, you can make stuff and then sell the plans of the things you make to the audience.

You can also setup a Patreon account and offer some perks e.g. behind the scenes stuff to your audience at a price.

I love this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkhZ3X6pVbrEs_VzIPfwWgQ

Check the video descriptions to get ideas on monetization.
@KevinOH thank you, this helps. Yeah I checked that channel out and it's very cool, something to aspire to and I see all the links in the description leading to plans and things for sale. Their Patreon also seems to be doing well I will definitely look into this a bit more.

EyesExist

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
I agree with YouTube

Videos that will EARN FOREVER for the time you invest today. Make 1000 DIY/How-To projects and let the video earnings accumulate

Spice a video up here and there to have a relevant click-bait title and use reddit (and facebook groups) to get your brand moving faster