Ok seriously guys who is sleeping on social media?

Degree
All the big social networks let you pay to promote and boost your content now... if you aren't taking advantage of that then why? Unless your content isn't a good fit for social media you NEED to be using it!!!

I posted about a new project I was starting and I've been putting 90% of my efforts into social media and getting so much more traffic than my first site ever got.

But when I browse forums I mostly see people talking about SEO and fighting with google. There are other algos out there to wrestle with guys and they are a lot more forgiving :smile:

CCarter did a long post on wickedfire awhile back about what you're talking about (sort of anyway, traffic leaks are free) and its what we should all be doing if our niche supports it. If you have a list of sites and methods of promotion you use that work well maybe you could post your data here?

Also, my first question would be: how well is that traffic converting into sales/profits for you?

With SEO those in the game can predict the ROI of a project based on the buying intent of the targeted kws, search volumes, CTR's to the site and avg conversion rates. I wouldn't know where to start getting similar numbers for social- but would love to learn. You seem like you know your stuff in that arena. Share? :wink:

Let's not forget that (real) social has so many benefits on the SEO side of things, too. I can't see myself doing one without the other, they feed off of one another in such a big way.

I don't really know about how social helps seo @MetaData can you explain? I thought they were separate things.

@RiverStyx I don't mean to sound like Im an expert or anything!! :tongue: But what I did is I made a Facebook page for my site and bought a few 1000 likes and I've been making really eye-catching posts to my site like the type of stuff that goes viral and using my fb page to give it a boost (organic + paid). I'm getting shared by bigger pages every now and then and getting lots of traffic. The paid boost really helps. You can make ads that target people who own fb pages so it's like putting yourself right infront of influential people and giving them stuff their audience will like. WIN!!!!

What I'm doing for tracking right now is tracking the TIME and money I invest into each network (FB, pinterest and twitter for now) and then also keeping track of how many visitors I'm getting from each one and how many pageviews. I don't care about sales at this point because I make my money based on how many pageviews I can get from each visitors. If I open a store or start affiliate marketing I will keep better track of conversions. Right now it's just all about traffic. I'm writing my content 100% to be entertaining, informative and shareable... keywords be damned!!!

Thanks for the info! :

Social supports SEO, and link-building in particular, in this way: if you're building a lot of links that is an indicator to G. that people find your content worthy of linking to; logically then they would expect to see some sort of correlation between link acquisition and social shares and mentions. Why would there be so many links and no one talking about you? Doesn't make sense.

At this point in time (2014) if you have a ton of links coming to your site but no or very little presence on social it makes your links look artificially acquired. I and other SEOs believe that social will, in a way, 'validate' your links in G's eyes. At least that is my understanding of it :smile:

Social is so much more than validation of a link, imo --though it most definitely does that. If you just think about the way content goes viral, the links are going to be shared almost exclusively on social media first, then the big content farms (buzzfeed, hufington post, and the like) and then more social media. The average plebeian doesn't have a website or highly influential blog. If anything they have a poorly maintained myblogisawesome.wordpress.com type thing, and they only share about their life, pending nuptials, and children.
Short story shorter, things go viral because of social. So if you're looking to really make a splash, learn how to replicate that even if its on a smaller scale and see what happens.

(ps. I'm working on a project that I'd like to morph into a case study playing off of this concept.)

^ Exactly, viral rarely "just happens", there's so much going on behind the scenes of all those big viral sites.

Meet The Network Of Guys Making Thousands Of Dollars Tweeting As “Common White Girls”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/the-parody-twitter-illuminati

TLDR;
- Guys setting up 'parody & 'funny' accounts'
- Networking with eachother to push tweets reach
- Regularly create trending hashtags
- Created that weird supermarket/grocery store kid viral sensation
- Making $500-1000 on their commercial tweets, as in paid re-tweets.

Being the good marketers & SEO minds that we are I think we all could benefit from setting ourselves up a little network like this here on BuSo.

- RF

This. Seriously we could do some damage if we all had accounts in the same niche and shared each other's content. Good stuff Romes.

If we can get some others who are in for doing this we should put together a thread & pre-decide on tactics, accounts etc. Basically who will do what. I think the better organized we can be the more success we would have.

Good idea, we'll do something with that in a private area soon. Let's put it on the backburner for the next little while while we continue to gear up with the CC9, but that's something I had thought about already and knowing there is some interest = it's going to happen.

Good idea, we'll do something with that in a private area soon. Let's put it on the backburner for the next little while while we continue to gear up with the CC9, but that's something I had thought about already and knowing there is some interest = it's going to happen.

Sounds good :smile:

I'm in as well! When we have the go ahead let's do this

1271010043_jump-in-the-car.gif

Back