Numbers Mac scripts

Degree
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I know a lot of you are Mac users so here goes.
I love my Mac to bits (Macbook Air), but the Numbers app sucks balls compared to excel.

Either that or I don't know how to use it.

I want to do a simple task: delete all rows that contain a specific number.

This is for my ppc campaigns where I need to sort through and filter out all the spammy pubs that eat up test budget. I can't for the life of me get this to work. Should I just install excel on my Mac? Is excel for Mac any good? Tons of tutorials for excel on the subject but not a lot for numbers.

cMkfk1q.jpg

Use the Filter in the top right corner. Then once you've filtered what you want, select all the rows and delete them.

@Krass Also, Excel is complete crap on Mac OS X. It's laggy and seems to be built to completely fuck up the experience.

Last edited:
It's laggy and seems to be built to completely fuck up the experience.

I thought that was the MO behind everything microsoft has their dirty litlle hans on

cMkfk1q.jpg

Use the Filter in the top right corner. Then once you've filtered what you want, select all the rows and delete them.

@Krass Also, Excel is complete crap on Mac OS X. It's laggy and seems to be built to completely fuck up the experience.

Thanks mate. I tried that but it seems to also delete all the rows in between the selected rows.

I recommend going with LibreOffice. Works on Mac, Windows, Linux: https://www.libreoffice.org/ . I'm not familiar with the "numbers" program, but an easy fix for now could be to just sort the spreadsheet by number for the column you are looking at. Then just select/delete the rows that contain the # you want to delete, because they would all be in the same group and you could select them all very quickly.

Google sheets can do that easily if, you aren't working with a huge data set. Google sheets starts to lag if you go over 10,000 rows.

Select the data, go to Data > Filter, then click the drop down of the column you want to filter by then filter by condition to find all the numbers you need.

Excel is complete crap on Mac OS X. It's laggy and seems to be built to completely fuck up the experience.

Glad someone else brought this up. I mastered some unique sorts/pivot table stuff on Windows Excel and then moved to Mac and tried to do the same only to find limitations to how much I could filter and other random BS with Excel for Mac.

I thought it was just me, but looks like others have experienced it too.

I tried the filter recommendation several times but no bueno. I'm looking to delete all rows containing specific website tokens and let's say row 10 contains the token, and row 6000 further down contains the same token, when I hit delete it scraps all the rows from 10-6000. Balls.

Any special commands I should know of? I'm willing to pay someone to script this, but can't find anyone on fiverr who scripts for Mac. I need to filter out a lot of bad placements asap on a daily basis and I've been doing it manually and I'm running out of whiskey.

I tried the filter recommendation several times but no bueno. I'm looking to delete all rows containing specific website tokens and let's say row 10 contains the token, and row 6000 further down contains the same token, when I hit delete it scraps all the rows from 10-6000. Balls.
How are you deleting? You have to do it with your keyboard's 'Delete' button, NOT with your mouse by right clicking on it and selecting 'delete select rows' <- that will delete everything in between (Don't know why but it screwed me up the same way when trying).

Example - Filter for 'wikipedia' in my URL column I get this:

NlNo9nO.png

^ I clicked row #81 then went to the bottom and clicked on the last row with wikipedia filter #18268. Then I click on the "delete" button on my keyboard, and get this:

Bd7fWjw.png

I then un-check the filter checkbox:

5uYshML.png

Then I get these rows, with only the deleted rows missing, but everything else in tact:

tQaH6fx.png

The file goes up to 18,825 rows, with the filtered out rows "blanked out".

How are you deleting? You have to do it with your keyboard's 'Delete' button, NOT with your mouse by right clicking on it and selecting 'delete select rows' <- that will delete everything in between (Don't know why but it screwed me up the same way when trying).

Example - Filter for 'wikipedia' in my URL column I get this:

NlNo9nO.png

^ I clicked row #81 then went to the bottom and clicked on the last row with wikipedia filter #18268. Then I click on the "delete" button on my keyboard, and get this:

Bd7fWjw.png

I then un-check the filter checkbox:

5uYshML.png

Then I get these rows, with only the deleted rows missing, but everything else in tact:

tQaH6fx.png

The file goes up to 18,825 rows, with the filtered out rows "blanked out".

Ok that worked. Now I need to find a way to remove those blanked out rows. It's cluttering my view

Ok that worked. Now I need to find a way to remove those blanked out rows. It's cluttering my view
Sort any column by ASC or DESC.

Back