Does having a term like “OnlyFans” in an article title on your website potentially harm the entire websites ad rate potential?

Degree
Does having a term like “OnlyFans” in an article title on your website potentially harm the entire websites ad rate potential?

(every other piece of content non adult whatsoever, not even mentioning this keyword or others like it)

for example because it’s potentially related to adult content, does it cause a potential negative on an entire site when you consider ad bidding as advertisers may blacklist keywords which then blacklists an entire website from showing their ads on it?

I’ve been told before it is a page-specific ad bidding, so it shouldn’t affect it… but I’m becoming more cautious as I learn more about brand safety for advertising brands (think YouTube ads when brands like Disney appeared on stuff they didn’t want and everyone on YouTube paid the price because of association)

hopeful others have had direct experience or data on this one

(every other piece of content non adult whatsoever, not even mentioning this keyword or others like it)

for example because it’s potentially related to adult content, does it cause a potential negative on an entire site when you consider ad bidding as advertisers may blacklist keywords which then blacklists an entire website from showing their ads on it?

I’ve been told before it is a page-specific ad bidding, so it shouldn’t affect it… but I’m becoming more cautious as I learn more about brand safety for advertising brands (think YouTube ads when brands like Disney appeared on stuff they didn’t want and everyone on YouTube paid the price because of association)

hopeful others have had direct experience or data on this one
Yes, it's mainly page level bidding, but advertisers can blacklist sites. And while I'm not an advertiser, I'm pretty certain that it's an easy thing to do for them, and the tools are provided to see which sites are family friendly or not, and brands are likely interested in avoiding all the stupid outrage culture nonsense. I'd remove the reference to OnlyFans. Why not? All you stand to do is benefit from it.

Yes, it's mainly page level bidding, but advertisers can blacklist sites. And while I'm not an advertiser, I'm pretty certain that it's an easy thing to do for them, and the tools are provided to see which sites are family friendly or not, and brands are likely interested in avoiding all the stupid outrage culture nonsense. I'd remove the reference to OnlyFans. Why not? All you stand to do is benefit from it.
Thanks, a lot. The "why not" is that 80%+ of traffic came from this one article. And the article is specifically about an angle of that topic, so it can't just be the keyword removed (its part of the keyword). So it has been a struggle to part ways with it.

I am almost ready to part ways with it, though, and the plan was to protect my "main" site's brand for the future and move this one article (along with a few other no-traffic ones) to a separate site whipped up with an expired domain I didn't use yet (not too valuable). 301 from the main site, and get the new site's page to replace the rank. Just run Adsense on it (it's safe enough for it) and continue earning from this high traffic article once it's all in place.

It's hard to know if this is a reasonable measure when giving away the main chunk of traffic. What do you think?

Thanks, a lot. The "why not" is that 80%+ of traffic came from this one article. And the article is specifically about an angle of that topic, so it can't just be the keyword removed (its part of the keyword). So it has been a struggle to part ways with it.

I am almost ready to part ways with it, though, and the plan was to protect my "main" site's brand for the future and move this one article (along with a few other no-traffic ones) to a separate site whipped up with an expired domain I didn't use yet (not too valuable). 301 from the main site, and get the new site's page to replace the rank. Just run Adsense on it (it's safe enough for it) and continue earning from this high traffic article once it's all in place.

It's hard to know if this is a reasonable measure when giving away the main chunk of traffic. What do you think?
If this article is not in alignment with your brand's future, and you're not monetizing yet anyways, then that 80% of the traffic is going to waste anyways. It's better to cut ties emotionally with it now rather than later, if that's what you're ultimately going to do anyways. With a proper 301 redirect it shouldn't be a huge issue anyways. You should retain the traffic, given enough other things are held equal on the new destination site for the article.

I'm making a lot of assumptions in my head and may be mixing you up with other newer members, but I feel like I'm recalling that you haven't made a whole lot of ground yet on this new project. Which could mean we're talking 80% of 100 visitors a month or something, you know. If it's low like that, then just get rid of it, I'd say, and keep it family friendly from here out, avoiding words associated with sex, violence, war, weapons, cuss words, and all that.

If this article is not in alignment with your brand's future, and you're not monetizing yet anyways, then that 80% of the traffic is going to waste anyways. It's better to cut ties emotionally with it now rather than later, if that's what you're ultimately going to do anyways. With a proper 301 redirect it shouldn't be a huge issue anyways. You should retain the traffic, given enough other things are held equal on the new destination site for the article.

I'm making a lot of assumptions in my head and may be mixing you up with other newer members, but I feel like I'm recalling that you haven't made a whole lot of ground yet on this new project. Which could mean we're talking 80% of 100 visitors a month or something, you know. If it's low like that, then just get rid of it, I'd say, and keep it family friendly from here out, avoiding words associated with sex, violence, war, weapons, cuss words, and all that.
Thanks.

Were actually talking about 80%+ of 3k sessions per week.

So yeah whilst it isn’t aligned with the future of this site, most of the current small earnings I get come from this piece because of the traffic it gets.

I can deal with seeing my traffic on this site drop if I 301, but I just making sure I don’t stab myself in the foot by losing out on any knockdown effects.
Eg Google not getting positive singles about traffic coming to the site, so they consider it less authoritative and it could take a long while to get that traffic again etc

my thread is here if you want a reminder :wink:

appreciate the guidances

Back