What are these Redirection Links and What Are They For?

Degree
Can someone explain to me these redirection backlinks? A whole bunch of them from different countries using google images, maps, cse, etc. I assume they are spammy because they are worthless, but I was just curious on how one goes about this?

Code:
images.google.co.uk/url?q="websitehere.com"
google.fr/url?sa=t&url="websitehere.com"

Someone I met the other day was talking about their website and they actually had a good idea. I gave them a few pointers on what they should improve on and I thought that was going to be that. They now want to pay me to help them out, didn't expect that.

I looked more into their backlinks and it looks like this guy is getting ripped off on whoever he is using. It kind of just opened my eyes. He's happy with a local keyword that gets 50 searches a month and he is position 22.

@ItsYoBuddy, They're used to fake DR scores on Ahrefs, along with subdomains on web 2.0's. Ahref's claimed they cleaned this up, but I'm still seeing the problem out there. It's a cheap Fiverr gig people use to scam newbie link buyers.

It's all automated. If you have the list of sites (and it goes beyond just Google) you can replace the domain (websitehere.com) with yours, and then trick Ahrefs into crawling the list by putting it on another page and getting it crawled. It's that simple. Tons of .gov and .edu sites have this setup too.

@ItsYoBuddy, They're used to fake DR scores on Ahrefs, along with subdomains on web 2.0's. Ahref's claimed they cleaned this up, but I'm still seeing the problem out there. It's a cheap Fiverr gig people use to scam newbie link buyers.

It's all automated. If you have the list of sites (and it goes beyond just Google) you can replace the domain (websitehere.com) with yours, and then trick Ahrefs into crawling the list by putting it on another page and getting it crawled. It's that simple. Tons of .gov and .edu sites have this setup too.

I'm seeing it on semrush too. I keep trying to explain to the guy why this is a problem but it's hard to explain to an older person. He just emailed me this morning that his SEO guy showed him the Moz stats and that his domain authority is now at 50. All the top linking domains are maps.google, google from different countries, and even some .gov like you mentioned. I don't want this guys money but I'm just trying to warn him not to get scammed.

Back