Lots of Useless Comments on Blog Posts - What Should I do?

I deactivated the URL field in the comments form and am only getting legit comments now. I publish them because it creates additional content on the page (+freshness?) and adds legitimacy (IMO). In addition, if you - as the author of the article - provide relevant replies, it reinforces your expertise. However, it also means that you need to dedicate some time to the replies and follow-ups - unanswered comments do not look good.

I deactivated the URL field in the comments form and am only getting legit comments now. I publish them because it creates additional content on the page (+freshness?) and adds legitimacy (IMO). In addition, if you - as the author of the article - provide relevant replies, it reinforces your expertise. However, it also means that you need to dedicate some time to the replies and follow-ups - unanswered comments do not look good.

What's nice about this too is you can seed comments on each post that create a culture of high quality, so the upcoming real commenters end up following suit because they'll want to bait a reply from you as the author.

I get a lot of comments on my posts. Some are simple "Thanks so much for writing this" (from legit email addresses without any links), while others are more detailed or asking questions for further info.

Should I be publishing comments? What are the arguments for/against?

Hi.

Sometimes those are comments from people that never visit your site again and there is a technique which allows you take some advantage of them.

It's not my idea; I read it some time ago and applied to my webs.

First, edit email address that is on the comment. So the writer will not recieve any notification.

Second, edit the comment to add more valuable words to your post.

And third (bonus track!), if applies, add a link to your site (related content, a post that you want to rank better, etc.)

Hope it helps.

Back