Do some of you have income earning sites that are not ".com"?

Degree
like uk, in, eu, au, cn?
Is there anything outside .com?

like uk, in, eu, au, cn?

I have a .co.uk site that is doing well in the UK serps, just earned £1k in July. If you check serps for specific countries you will see lots of examples of non .com sites ranking well.

like uk, in, eu, au, cn?
Well, yes, outside the USA, there are plenty of successful 'country' domains - probably best if you have the country focus (and native language, if necessary).

I would say from general observation that .eu is building up slowly as an alternative to .com within Europe. And, of course, plenty of software and app brands going the old British Indian Ocean Territory (.io) or .to (Tonga) route.

To a certain extent, there is a window of opportunity for something non .com where the owners of a valuable .com are domain investors who are unwilling and/or unable to develop it. One of the domains I'm currently developing is in this situation so we will see how that theory works...

@Erayz, Here's a list of generic top level domains, in addition to the actual top level domains. Stuff like .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov, .mil, and .int are your normal TLDs.

But there are ccTLD's (country code top level domains) that are so commonly used for other purposes that Google now treats them as global unless you specifically choose to target a locale in Search Console.

Some of the ones you've probably seen are .co, .fm, .io, .me, and .tv. There's more at that link above.

I've successfully ranked .info and .me and made plenty of money doing it. I don't have experience with others because I always try to get the .com and then go to .org otherwise.

@Erayz I do, I earn my income from affiliate networks in my country (Scandinavia). It's viable, but a bit different to .com. It's much harder to get backlinks, but the competition is much, much easier to beat. I am ranking for the same keywords as Thewirecutter, businessinsider and all of those guys do at .com, but in my country.

However, it also means that the volume is much lower - and we don't have Amazon either. So not all of my visitors are keen on buying from the shops that offer me affiliate. The writers in my country are also very over-priced, so I have to write most of my articles myself.

My ears are burning, someone must have mentioned my favorite domain extension......... (@Ryuzaki 's like "Here we go, another .co rant....)

To me, it's about weighing what comes before the dot vs what comes after the dot.

I'll take "Hey.co" over "HelloThereMyFriend.com",
"Bold.co" over "IAmFeelingAwfullyBoldToday.com",
"Sips.co" over "ProDrinkRecipeHQ.com"

There's this weird thing where a lot of domain investors have convinced themselves that .co is too confusing for users to type in.

My thing is... you can get a name for 1/100th of what the .com would cost, and who even types in URLs anymore, anyways? I feel like the rise of mobile makes it such a no-brainer to go for the shorter names. They say .co fails the radio test... whose buying radio ads? People click links to get to websites (most of the time...), and I think the pros of a great, short, 1 word name absolutely topple the cons of having the 1 or 2 mouthbreathers who get confused by .co instead of .com but would supposedly be just fine typing in "IAmFeelingAwfullyBoldToday.com" over "bold.co".

This is a passionate topic for me lol.

I still avoid the real janky stuff like .cc and whatnot, but there are a few new gTLDs that can work alright in a pinch like "home.cooking" or "office.space". I couldn't get PeakDomains.com so I grabbed Peak.Domains, as another example. You'd be surprised at the caliber of names you can pick up in .co and other decent extensions for $100-$500 compared to paying 100k+++ to get the same words in .com. I think aesthetically .co looks really good with short names, too.

Sidenote: I recently passed on buying bold.co in an expired auction for around 1.2k iirc, then just a couple of weeks later it got flipped for 15k to an end-user. Kind of kicking myself, but it validates that users love .co. I've sold more .co than any other extension, and it gets developed by actual businesses way more often than any other extensions I've sold.

Yeah, many:

.rocks
.site
.io
.fm
.as

etc.

I sometimes find nice drops with more expensive extensions, i.e. .ai which is ~100 EUR/year.

For brands id rather do brand.io, than brandwebdesign.com. You can always buy the .com when you're ballin'. Like how airbnb.com used to be airbedandbreakfast.com (in this case I'd rather have airbnb.co than the initial .com).

I have a .net

Not as easy to earn as the .com to me.

That holds true for .nets, I agree.
They are not that far behind, though, getting better.

In localized markets (especially Europe), get the country extension.
e.g. .de, .it, ....

If you can get all three:
.[$local], .com,.net , then get all three for big / longterm projects.

I have a .org, .io, etc that do very well. I don't think the extension matters at all as long as the name looks good [enough].

Extensions seem to matter far less, if at all, today vs. 5-10 years ago. In the 'good old days', if you weren't building on a .com, .net or .org domain name you were wasting your time. Today is different and I would give domain extension much thought at all - if you like a particular domain just go with it and get focused on delivering value.

This thread inspired me to get a .eco name. Single word, main niche, very brandable.

Seems like a bargain to me considering all the niches that could have "product.eco".

Unless I mistake the use of "eco" in the US, as I take it to be a recognizable extension for "eco friendly product".

I'm going to use it to tip toe into the big and intimidating US market with a site focused on eco friendly products in my niche.

Even if the site doesn't take off, I bet that with that name and good visual design, I should be able to make a good profit on Flippa.

Back