Why Do My Photoshopped Images Have Grey Spots When Scaled Down in Resolution?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Why does my images with white backgrounds get grey "spots" or shadows when they're scaled down in size?

Why does my images with white backgrounds get grey "spots" or shadows when they're scaled down in size?

Are these photos taken with a camera (including the background) or are you chopping the main item out and replacing the background with a pure white background? Also, what software are you using? It could be artifacts from the software. It could be that the background isn't pure white and that becomes noticeable as the gray spots congeal into tighter areas.

Are these photos taken with a camera (including the background) or are you chopping the main item out and replacing the background with a pure white background? Also, what software are you using? It could be artifacts from the software. It could be that the background isn't pure white and that becomes noticeable as the gray spots congeal into tighter areas.

It's GIMP for Mac.

When you say "scaled down in size" what do you mean? When the images are scaled down by web publishing (so, for example, a 2400x2400 image is scaled to 600x600)? Or when you are trying to edit it or export it in your software? And what image file type are we talking about, jpgs, gifs, pngs?

When you say "scaled down in size" what do you mean? When the images are scaled down by web publishing (so, for example, a 2400x2400 image is scaled to 600x600)? Or when you are trying to edit it or export it in your software? And what image file type are we talking about, jpgs, gifs, pngs?

Yes, I receive a png in say 6000x3000 and scale it down to 600x300 (png or jpg, same thing happens).

Yes, I receive a png in say 6000x3000 and scale it down to 600x300 (png or jpg, same thing happens).
Are the images with a true white background or with something like a white curtain, with shadows? Have you tried any other photo-editing software (like Photoshop Express or a full-scale app if you have one)?

Download this image and try to reduce it in size to 560px width:
https://www.browngirlmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bigstock-smiling-indian-businesswoman-p-44725165.jpg
Does the same thing happen? (I have no problems when I make it smaller with Adobe Fireworks.)

In the meantime, a quick question for the Pinterest experts, as that is the next social media niche I'm going to poke my toes in...

(My niche is very popular for images and I have a large stock of potentially useful photos gathered over a number of years which I have so far only utilised to create old-school galleries on web pages.)

If you had a number of existing sites in the same large niche but with different topics and locations - along the lines of woodcarving in Thailand, embroidery in Canada, crochetwork in the UK and knitting in Eire - are you better off using a single personal account and different boards, a single business account and different boards (although I think that would have to have an overarching handicrafts website connected, for this example?) or different business accounts for the different sites?

Back