Beginner's Guide to Keyword Research & Keyword Golden Ratio?

Degree
Is there a recent, up to date guide on keyword research? I am starting a niche Amazon affiliate site and I want to start by targeting low competition review/best keywords as well as low competition info keywords.

Is there a recent, up to date guide on keyword research? I am starting a niche Amazon affiliate site and I want to start by targeting low competition review/best keywords as well as low competition info keywords.

Depends on which methods/tools you want to use, here's one free way to do it that I like:

1. This Nichehacks post is very in-depth when it comes to finding all the keywords that could be relevant to your niche. Follow the guide, and get a list of "root" keywords from there, the more the better. Save the list to Excel.

(OR keep it simple and focus on 10-20 root keywords that you already know for a start - e.g. survival, prepping, doomsday, prepper, homesteading etc.)

2. Once you've got your list of root keywords, get yourself a "keywords everywhere" addon and set it up to target US. Make sure the extension is turned on in your browser.

3. Then go to keyword shitter. Test it by putting something in there and clicking "shit" - you should get keywords with their search volumes coming out below. If it works - great. If not, then the addon is not working and you might have to try in different browser.

4. Plug one of your root keywords into keyword shitter. Press shit keywords. When the dump has exhausted itself, copy the results that the tool spits out from below together with their volumes to an excel sheet. Repeat this process for each keyword.

(You can add buyer-intent modifiers like "best" and "review" to your dumps, although if you let it run long enough they should come up by themselves.)

In Excel, write a 2 formulas in adjacent cells to your list that (1) extract out the keyword and (2) extract out the volume from the original cell. You can learn the formula by Googling "how to extract a part of string excel" or something similar.

You now have a list of keywords with their volumes for your niche. From here on, you should:
  • See which ones are buyer-intent, and which ones are informational
  • Google the keywords one by one & gauge the competition with MOZ toolbar
  • Create a content calendar & start pounding
(Or you could just watch a Youtube video on how to do keyword & competition research with ahrefs, get their $7 trial, cancel right away, and squeeze the shit out of it while it lasts.)

• Google the keywords one by one & gauge the competition with MOZ toolbar

Thanks! Mainly, I was interested in reading a guide about how to gauge competition (is Keyword Golden Ratio good etc?) since I do not want to build backlinks to this new project (at first).

Back