What's Considered Spam vs. White Hat SEO? Is Social Media White Hat?

Degree
Planning on building a long-term authority site and want to avoid spam, cause that seems to be the bane of long term projects from what I have gathered here.

What makes spam "spam" though? If I post a link on Pinterest to get a traffic leak going, is that considered spam or whitehat? Do I really have to be so super cautious about it and not do any promotion whatsoever?Where do I draw the line?

Planning on building a long-term authority site and want to avoid spam, cause that seems to be the bane of long term projects from what I have gathered here.

What makes spam "spam" though? If I post a link on Pinterest to get a traffic leak going, is that considered spam or whitehat? Do I really have to be so super cautious about it and not do any promotion whatsoever?Where do I draw the line?
Pinterest is pretty much whitehat. Go look up big websites that use pinterest, they all post multiple pins daily to their site. Just mix in a few of other peoples links and you're good.

I post my pins 5-10 times a day and get about 1-3k clicks to my site just from pinterest.

Pinterest is pretty much whitehat. Go look up big websites that use pinterest, they all post multiple pins daily to their site. Just mix in a few of other peoples links and you're good.

I post my pins 5-10 times a day and get about 1-3k clicks to my site just from pinterest.

1-3k clicks a day that is? Outstanding. I really should get going then, haha. Thanks!

1-3k clicks a day that is? Outstanding. I really should get going then, haha. Thanks!

Yea, it's nice. I suggest getting tailwind to schedule posts, and joining some tailwind tribes. Getting shares from other people helps alot, especially once you get a lucky share from a huge page. Its just a spiral of increasing traffic after that.

@goin4destiny, Social Media is fine. You're allowed to promote your own projects. Reddit is fine too. You're going to have a hard time generating so many backlinks there that it becomes spam, unless you're abusing it by creating a sub-reddit and filling it with spam. And in that case the links are going to be worthless.

It's like anything... even white hat methods can become spam if you abuse them, like the old Guest Posting Networks which became huge PBNs. It's obvious when the line is crossed, and that's usually when it stops being authentic marketing and starts being about building the link.

Back