How Do You Valuate a Domain Price as a Domainer? Should I Sell It or Develop It?

dopeideas

WeAllGonMakeIt
Degree
What would you be general approach and strategy trying to sell a domain quality name? I know how domain holders can feel their names are overvalued, but I believe this one can fetch in the xx,xxx range.

Unfortunately, I was never a great domainer and I can be potentially over-firm on the price if have a very interested buyer (i.e. he contacts me).

Additionally, how would you weigh developing a potential name vrs. selling it for a quick buck? Developed it has use potential, great branding, memorable name, but there are modest time and skillset restrictions already.

What would you be general approach and strategy trying to sell a domain quality name? I know how domain holders can feel their names are overvalued, but I believe this one can fetch in the xx,xxx range.

Unfortunately, I was never a great domainer and I can be potentially over-firm on the price if have a very interested buyer (i.e. he contacts me).

Additionally, how would you weigh developing a potential name vrs. selling it for a quick buck? Developed it has use potential, great branding, memorable name, but there are modest time and skillset restrictions already.

This is probably pretty general advice, it's tough to say without knowing the name and knowing your experience etc, but if this is all stuff that's obvious to you already, maybe it'll come in useful for someone else.

First thing is to determine who would find value from the domain name, and you can reach out to them directly or look into hiring a broker who can shop the name around if it's truly an xx,xxx name. Check out namebio.com and see if you can find any comparable sales.

You could look at selling it to an existing business, or there's also crossing your fingers and hoping a business is formed down the road that would benefit from your name and want it enough to pay that much (Or passing it off to a reseller who also believes in it, but you'd make less this way). There are some really solid domain names out there but they're entirely reliant on a very specific business choosing a very specific name, so it can be hit or miss even with decent names when you start looking at the higher price tags, whereas those same names might get passed around between resellers for years and years hoping for the end user to come into existence.

Ask yourself how many other options there are for them to choose from too - is 'yourname.com' a must-have if they want to enter this industry (Like if they're the world's newest biggest stapler company who are finally looking to get online, and you have Staplers.com), or are there many other options out there that might be about as good?

As for developing it vs selling it... If you believe you have a name worth xx,xxx and you're not sure if you should sell or develop it - would you be willing to invest xx,xxx into this new website if you didn't have the domain already? If yes, you should keep it. If you could find another name for $10 that would still be a suitable choice, I'd lean towards selling it.

I usually look at selling assets this way: If I wouldn't be willing to buy it for the price I could sell it for, I should sell it.

Back