Search Console Shows Duplicate Content Before Picking Up 301 Redirect. Do I Wait?

Degree
I changed the url structure of a blog post. Instead of www.domain.com/all-about-xvz now its just /about-xvz

Now, when I type /all-about-xvz it redirects me to /about-xvz. But... When I go to GW under HTML improvements it shows me duplicate content. What should I do? I started to get traffic on /about-xvz but I'm concerned about that duplicate content thing. And it also has duplicate title tags.

Now, when I type /all-about-xvz it redirects me to /about-xvz. But... When I go to GW under HTML improvements it shows me duplicate content. What should I do? I started to get traffic on /about-xvz but I'm concerned about that duplicate content thing. And it also has duplicate title tags.

Does it still show this? It sounds like they spotted the issue and reported it before the system had time to understand it was a 301 redirect.

I changed the url structure of a blog post. Instead of www.domain.com/all-about-xvz now its just /about-xvz

If you've verified your redirects, I wouldn't worry about it. In Google Search Console, a lot of the various items they track have a reporting delay. Certain reports seem to update only once every week or 2, depending somewhat on the size of your site and crawl rate I'm sure.

I'm not sure what you mean by verifying redirects, I just changed the url of the blog post in Wordpress posts->edit.

But hey guys, you were right. I logged today and there are no issues under HTML improvements. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by verifying redirects, I just changed the url of the blog post in Wordpress posts->edit.

But hey guys, you were right. I logged today and there are no issues under HTML improvements. Thanks.

I just meant checking the old links to make sure they properly 301 redirect to the new location. There are many tools that help with this. For example, here's a Chrome plugin, Link Redirect Trace, that'll let you easily check links.

The nice thing is, by default, Wordpress has you covered. I posted recently about a built-in old slug redirect function that handles this for you automatically.

Back