How Many Outreach Emails Should I Send Per Day? Quality Versus Quantity

Jared

Breaking the Shackles of a Lifetime of Bummery
Degree
Any suggestions or rules of thumbs on the number of outreach emails a person should send a day?

Any suggestions or rules of thumbs on the number of outreach emails a person should send a day?

As many as you can handle in terms of responses and getting quality articles written.

But you shouldn't keep emailing the same recipients over and over again. One follow up maximum, if you ask me. I have people hit me up with goofy automated systems where I end up with a chain of emails 5 and 6 deep of the same copy pasta. They seem to keep pushing until you hit "spam," and then they take you off the list. But I see people using this on their actual domain emails, which is insanely dumb.

I recommend testing consistently over a long enough period of time to measure and estimate for yourself. The reason I say this is, volume might differ quite a bit from niche to niche. Say you're going after bloggers in an entertainment niche, and approaching them in fun, casual ways. That type of outreach could be quick and easy, meaning more volume.

Also, volume, alone, means nothing.

If you're in a B2B niche and going after GOV and EDU links that you care about, and you don't want to ruin your brand name, volume is going to be much lower. In cases like that, I found the absolute max I could do was ~150 emails per day. This included inspecting 100-200 opportunities and gaining intel (contact name, role, agency / institutional knowledge, etc.). The emails were manually written, very personalized, and targeted towards what I thought would provide great value to their audience. Maintaining that quality of outreach, greater volume wouldn't have been possible for me at that time. That was a stressful rate, but the ROI was worth it at the time.

With outreach, the thing to keep in mind is the value and number of opportunities available. If you keep iterating and improving, eventually you will reach a level of scarcity. What I mean by that is, if you're trying to build a brand, there are only so many outreach opportunities you should be willing to burn through before your game is on point.

Sometimes, it might be time to put outreach on hold, and figure out how to make a killer "product" (or content) first. Know what I mean? Like there are only so many govs and edus you can burn up with crappy outreach and crappy "opportunities" for them, before your reputation turns bad and awareness of it grows.

These days, my outlook is precisely the opposite of how people go into outreach at the beginning. They start with, "What's the most I can send?" I only care about, what's the fewest I can send with the highest conversion rate.

I would ask the question, what's the longest you can spend on R&D for a single outreach, before feeling like it was your best? Try that out a bit and see what the ROI looks like.

^^^ I think you've summed up the eternal dilemma, turbin. Balancing time spent actual outreach and on actually making money. A lot of it is down to intuitiion, but i find, sometimes, you have to be REALLY pushy with blogger out reach and keep messaging. Leave a little break, then message again.
Using an automated emailer service sometimes helps.

Back