Introductions Thread

Buenas, me estoy iniciando en el mundillo y me gustaría rodearme de personas que ya están en él.
Si estás viviendo en España, hablás castellano o simplemente queréis acercaros a más a personas que trabajan en esta industria---->Escribe aquí

Hi, I am starting to develop niche websites and I am looking for people working already in this field.
If you want to---> Just write in this post thread

Hola @Iamcoolwiththat

Im in Spain, Alicante more exact :smile: Welcome to BuSo and enjoy your stay. If you want to connect with me you can send me a message here on the forum and i will reply back.

Bienvenidos

I live in northern Spain near Barcelona.

Bienvenidos ! Que Lo Que?

Como va la economia de Espanas en esas dias?

8 days later

I. Data collection

I spent many hours collecting them. This is a summary.

• I started my two sites in 2012
  • Last time I published in them: 2016

• Site #2: 251 posts
Almost 90% of the posts (on both sites) are outdated and have a date in URL and title.

Visits
  • Site #1: at its best moment 1500 visits/day on average - today 300 visits/day
  • Site #2: at its best moment 300 visits/day on average - today 90 visits/day

Earnings

--- Ads:
  • Site #1: at its best moment 147 €/month (it was only 1 month because of Traffic Leaks); on average was 53€/month --- today is 8,30 € (on August)
  • Site #2: at its best moment 60 €/month (only 1 month, I don't know the reason); average was 21€/month --- today is 7,20 € (on August)
--- Amazon (both sites):
  • At their best: 300 €/year
  • On average: 144€/year
  • Today (from January to August): 35 €

II. Data analysis
It is difficult to do a good data analysis when you don't know if the data you are analyzing are the important ones. I'm doing it at my best.

Earnings

Earnings started to drop in 2016 on both sites almost by 50%. In 2018 earnings dropped again by 50%.
Earnings are related to visits.
Visits dropped in 2016, 2018 and 2019 because of freshness updates.

Other facts

In 2017 and 2018 a site cloned my #1 site. It used the same domain than me, only the termination of the domain was different. It cloned my design, my URLs, my titles, my photos, but the body of the posts was some weird spun text.
This site ranked better than mine and I lost all my ranked keywords.
I think they used this site to link to another site (drugs related).
This site was active two years and now (2019) domain is still active, but the site doesn't.

III. What I have done these days

Solving hosting problems.

I have just what I paid for: a cheap service and cheap attention. (Shared hosting)

I couldn't access to WordPress panel. Long hours until technical support solved it.

Working in WordPress is a nightmare because it's veeeeery slow. A turtle is really fast compared to it.

I have 2 shared hostings in the same company, and I have empirically tested that my #1 account (in which I have hosted the sites that I'm talking about) is slower than my #2 account.

Technical support denies it, but facts are speaking.

It's happening because in 2017 they migrated all the people who are in #1 shared hosting account to an SSD server and again on March 2018 to a better server, they said.

These two migrations resulted in an infamous site speed and panel speed.

Related to above: improving site speed.

Site speed: Absolutely frustrating. Measured with Pingdom.

• Site #1: 1,33 s.
  • Site #2: 1,45 s.

I did some modifications and I have improved it to

• Site #1: 753 ms.
  • Site #2: 1,14 s.

I think I know what is the problem (or the big one):

• Site #1: It is on a MyThemeShop theme that isn't actualized any more by the company. It was called FrontPage. I'm having some issues (error messages theme related in WordPress panel) while I'm actualizing some posts. The solution is to change to another theme. I will change to Schema theme from MyThemeShop because I have a lifetime license and their technical service can help me if I have any difficulty. But if I do it now, I will spend a lot of time and now I'm only checking my sites and 'refreshing' them.
  • Site #2: It's on Genesis framework. I customized a child theme. Main page is done with a constructor (Beaver Builder) that I think is slowing down the site. The solution is deleting Beaver Builder and building another main page. On the home page, I have links to the articles I make money with on Amazon and text.

Other likely causes: plugins

• I use WP Rocket for cache and I think it's slowing down the site. I'm reading about it because I don't know which is better.
  • The plugin that I use for Amazon (EasyAzon) is slowing down the site. I have to try the official one and test if it is faster.

Actualizing content
Both sites. Adding content in some posts only for freshness signals. I can't tell you how many I have actualized because I haven't counted them.

Publishing content
I have added text (+1000 words) on main pages, both sites.

Pruning content
Both sites, only a few posts (deleting from WP, deindexing from Search Console, 301 redirecting to main page).

Other stuff
  • 301 redirection from a site I bought to #1 site.
  • Solving problems with a page I have on Blogger (the one I made for an Association). When I migrated to another registrar, I didn't change this site DNS correctly. It was a mess because these are Google DNS and I didn't understand how to do it on the domainer panel. Long and stressing hours, but I made it.
  • Adsense: ads.txt implementation, testing locations on the sites.
  • Taking notes about a more logical site content structure.
  • Writing posts for my personal site (2 posts).
  • Researching for new projects.

IV. My conclusion

My first post in BuSo was almost a month ago and, despite I have spent many hours and days working on my sites, the fact is that I have no money results to show. Very busy and no results. That's is a fail.

I think that resurrecting these sites is a kind of self-sabotaging.

At their best time, they didn't work well (that was the reason because I abandoned them). Resurrecting them will take me months and I'm not sure they can work 'as well' as they did at their best. What an irony.

I'm looking for new projects, but I feel so bad that I'm blocked and I haven't made any decisions yet. Feelings and business are not good friends.

PSTD symptoms are getting worse (flashbacks and depersonalization), but the good news is that I can work at the same time they are happening. I know they are stress-related and they will be less strong when I will be better.

Well, this point is called 'My conclusion' and no 'blah, blah, blah'.

It hurts me a lot to say it, but my conclusion is that I'm wasting my time.

V. What I will do

1) For the next 48 hours I will be disconnected from the Internet. I will be writing on my laptop, but without the Internet. I need to cut all the noise and hear myself.
2) A plan.

Carry on…

Shake any shade you may have on you OFF, stay motivated and focused bro, keep moving forward using logic as your compass.

bumps in the road my friend, just bumps in the road.

Found this forum from an old reddit thread. Glad to be here!
I'm having an issue with a website and this forum looks more reliable than reddit :D.
- Almost two years
- Purchased this May from previous owner
- Few articles are ranking on google even if the majority of the traffic comes from 1-2 articles
- No penalty, search console is clean
- Few spam links but nothing serious
The issue that i'm having is, i have started to publish new articles. They get indexed fine in few days but they won't rank for any keyword, 0 , nada after two weeks. The article are around 1000-2000 words h1-url-desc-image, interlinked with other articles, not affiliate post. I can't find any reason for this issue. Looking for any advice or if you have any question let me know!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, @proto.

What I would recommend is to challenge your assumption that you're not ranking for any keywords. Open up Analytics and Search Console and see if the specific posts are getting any impressions and clicks. They likely are getting some long-tail traction but not high enough for you to notice.

My hunch, partially because you didn't mention it at all, is that you're targeting keywords that are too competitive for your site's own power levels. What are the general monthly search volumes for the keywords, and do you have any competition metrics you can use to gauge how hard it will be to rank them?

Another issue may be that the site sat without updates for long enough that you still need to kick start the freshness and increase Google's crawling frequency and budget for the site. If it has ~5-10 articles on it and it sat for two years with nothing else going on, the age is nice but other than that it's almost like starting over.

Especially if there isn't much in the way of backlinks to your domain.

That's two pieces of info we'd need to help you diagnose the issue:
  • Monthly volume & difficulty metric of the keywords you're targeting
  • The number of referring domains to your site & some metric like Ahref's DR or Moz's DA.
You've come to the right place! Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome aboard, @proto.

What I would recommend is to challenge your assumption that you're not ranking for any keywords. Open up Analytics and Search Console and see if the specific posts are getting any impressions and clicks. They likely are getting some long-tail traction but not high enough for you to notice.

My hunch, partially because you didn't mention it at all, is that you're targeting keywords that are too competitive for your site's own power levels. What are the general monthly search volumes for the keywords, and do you have any competition metrics you can use to gauge how hard it will be to rank them?

Another issue may be that the site sat without updates for long enough that you still need to kick start the freshness and increase Google's crawling frequency and budget for the site. If it has ~5-10 articles on it and it sat for two years with nothing else going on, the age is nice but other than that it's almost like starting over.

Especially if there isn't much in the way of backlinks to your domain.

That's two pieces of info we'd need to help you diagnose the issue:
  • Monthly volume & difficulty metric of the keywords you're targeting
  • The number of referring domains to your site & some metric like Ahref's DR or Moz's DA.
You've come to the right place! Glad to have you aboard.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
The domain stats are:

vZMWmmC.jpg

J70LErB.jpg

( the TF/CF ratio is off, i need to work on it)
I know people tend to rant that they are not raking for their keywords but what i mean is ranking for anything, i mean literally. Even if we target the hardest keyword eventually we pick some impression or rank for some obscure keywords but I check daily with search console for any impression and it show 0, ahref show the same situation, 0 movement for any keyword. I was thinking like you that the website was inactive for a long time and google is taking his time. I pointed some web 2.0 to see if change anything but still 0. Am i worrying too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have these new articles been live? I'd reckon that if you keep the momentum going for a couple of months you'll see things changing. Right now they're probably re-evaluating the website, treating it like a "new" (previously inactive) site.

Did you change the theme or design at all? That can cause this kind of issue too.

Have you confirmed the new posts are being indexed?

How long have these new articles been live? I'd reckon that if you keep the momentum going for a couple of months you'll see things changing. Right now they're probably re-evaluating the website, treating it like a "new" (previously inactive) site.

Did you change the theme or design at all? That can cause this kind of issue too.

Have you confirmed the new posts are being indexed?
They are indexed, i have changed the whole website design few weeks ago using a new theme but all the permalinkg and "seo" settings are the same.
EDIT: Rechecking again, it started to show some impression finally! It was driving me crazy!
PYTbW9q.jpg

Now i feel dumb

Gracias por vuestras respuestas!

Quiero hablar sobre cuánto tiempo lleváis haciendo esto, vuestros proyectos de éxito, los fracasos, experiencias...

Es genial cuando conoces a alguien que tiene experiencia en un campo en el que te acabas de meter.

--

Thank you all for your responses!

I want to know about how much time have you been doing this, some of the projects, experiences...

It is really nice when you meet someone that has expertise in a field you just got into.

Regarding speed, if your sites have less than 3 seconds you are perfectly fine. Don't overthink anymore to try making them faster.

Hello, I am from the Dominican Republic, I study everything related to social networks, promotion of images on google and maintenance of web pages. I have been in this job for 11 months. My cousin @EyesExist recommended this website, he has worked many years in this world of internet. Where I live life is very difficult, this is a great opportunity to change my future. Let's go for success

Last edited:
Inspiration is the highest act of life.

Co-sign. He has learned a lot in this past year and been reading more than I would read, ever in life, to get into SEO services.

Soon to offer SM signals and shout outs as a service.

make sure you're hard on him everyone :-D

Signed up a while back and just now deciding to get more active. I run a bunch of sites in totally random niches but make most of my income with a few gossip/news style sites. Trying to self motivate to make 2020 the year I really focus and get more organized. I have a tendency to jump from project to project and I feel like I am letting a ton of profit slip through my fingers. Trying to overcome some basic problems that I think trip up a bunch of IM people.

1. Don't waste time trying to do everything yourself. This is especially true if you have some programming knowledge. Why waste your time when you could pay a professional to finish it faster and cheaper. Don't undervalue your time's worth.

2. Don't project hop. In the past I would roll out new sites and spend a great deal of time getting the design and content done just to jump to the next project without doing what is needed to make sure it would be successful.

I am sure I could list 10 more but that is good for now.

One question. Any way to upgrade buso account with BTC?
Blaze

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, glad you're joining us in conversation. The more the merrier!

You know, I've gone through the waves of starting too many projects and realizing I can't possibly treat them all like they need, to withdrawing back to having only 1 major project. And if that hits a snag, you're in the same boat. You've got one or many projects that aren't performing like they should.

I think there's a balance to be had. I ended up doing everything in my power to fix the 1 major project, and then immediately (instead of waiting around) built another smaller static website that capped out at 20 posts. Then I started another big authority project that'll go on forever for the most part.

Spreading eggs into a few baskets does mitigate risk, if you can handle the workload. Spreading in too many just ensures none of the eggs hatch. But keeping them all in one basket can be a little too risky too.

I'm sure we could all argue about that all day but that's been my evolution over the decades about that topic.

Also, no, BuSo doesn't collect crypto. Thanks for asking. Hope you keep posting with us!

Welcome!
Join the discussion, maybe tell a bitmore about yourself andyour projects.

I have a handful of affiliate sites, I play around with.
I've also got an seo agency where we have some really nice clients, so am always looking to find reputable whitelabel people to outsource some work to, so thought networking on here would be beneficial to us both.

Hi guys! My name is Tony. I live in USA.
I’ve been studying SEO & affiliate marketing for 1 year. I registered on the forum to learn from you guys.
What advertising platforms do you use?

Looking forward to cooperation

Hello! @supersheek What niches do you work in?

What Amazon product research tools do you use?

Welcome to the forum.

Have you had any successes yet? What do your present projects look like? Have you seen a pattern within failed projects yet? Are you struggling with anything in particular?

What advertising platforms do you use?

I've worked with CPC display ads, Pay Per Call lead generation, form-based lead generation, and lately focusing on CPM display ads more. I drive traffic largely through SEO but venture out into social media, particularly Facebook and Reddit and Pinterest.

Back