New member here

Degree
Found this forum from an old reddit thread. Glad to be here!
I'm having an issue with a website and this forum looks more reliable than reddit :D.
- Almost two years
- Purchased this May from previous owner
- Few articles are ranking on google even if the majority of the traffic comes from 1-2 articles
- No penalty, search console is clean
- Few spam links but nothing serious
The issue that i'm having is, i have started to publish new articles. They get indexed fine in few days but they won't rank for any keyword, 0 , nada after two weeks. The article are around 1000-2000 words h1-url-desc-image, interlinked with other articles, not affiliate post. I can't find any reason for this issue. Looking for any advice or if you have any question let me know!

Last edited:

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Welcome aboard, @proto.

What I would recommend is to challenge your assumption that you're not ranking for any keywords. Open up Analytics and Search Console and see if the specific posts are getting any impressions and clicks. They likely are getting some long-tail traction but not high enough for you to notice.

My hunch, partially because you didn't mention it at all, is that you're targeting keywords that are too competitive for your site's own power levels. What are the general monthly search volumes for the keywords, and do you have any competition metrics you can use to gauge how hard it will be to rank them?

Another issue may be that the site sat without updates for long enough that you still need to kick start the freshness and increase Google's crawling frequency and budget for the site. If it has ~5-10 articles on it and it sat for two years with nothing else going on, the age is nice but other than that it's almost like starting over.

Especially if there isn't much in the way of backlinks to your domain.

That's two pieces of info we'd need to help you diagnose the issue:
  • Monthly volume & difficulty metric of the keywords you're targeting
  • The number of referring domains to your site & some metric like Ahref's DR or Moz's DA.
You've come to the right place! Glad to have you aboard.

Degree
Welcome aboard, @proto.

What I would recommend is to challenge your assumption that you're not ranking for any keywords. Open up Analytics and Search Console and see if the specific posts are getting any impressions and clicks. They likely are getting some long-tail traction but not high enough for you to notice.

My hunch, partially because you didn't mention it at all, is that you're targeting keywords that are too competitive for your site's own power levels. What are the general monthly search volumes for the keywords, and do you have any competition metrics you can use to gauge how hard it will be to rank them?

Another issue may be that the site sat without updates for long enough that you still need to kick start the freshness and increase Google's crawling frequency and budget for the site. If it has ~5-10 articles on it and it sat for two years with nothing else going on, the age is nice but other than that it's almost like starting over.

Especially if there isn't much in the way of backlinks to your domain.

That's two pieces of info we'd need to help you diagnose the issue:
  • Monthly volume & difficulty metric of the keywords you're targeting
  • The number of referring domains to your site & some metric like Ahref's DR or Moz's DA.
You've come to the right place! Glad to have you aboard.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
The domain stats are:

( the TF/CF ratio is off, i need to work on it)
I know people tend to rant that they are not raking for their keywords but what i mean is ranking for anything, i mean literally. Even if we target the hardest keyword eventually we pick some impression or rank for some obscure keywords but I check daily with search console for any impression and it show 0, ahref show the same situation, 0 movement for any keyword. I was thinking like you that the website was inactive for a long time and google is taking his time. I pointed some web 2.0 to see if change anything but still 0. Am i worrying too much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
How long have these new articles been live? I'd reckon that if you keep the momentum going for a couple of months you'll see things changing. Right now they're probably re-evaluating the website, treating it like a "new" (previously inactive) site.

Did you change the theme or design at all? That can cause this kind of issue too.

Have you confirmed the new posts are being indexed?

Degree
How long have these new articles been live? I'd reckon that if you keep the momentum going for a couple of months you'll see things changing. Right now they're probably re-evaluating the website, treating it like a "new" (previously inactive) site.

Did you change the theme or design at all? That can cause this kind of issue too.

Have you confirmed the new posts are being indexed?
They are indexed, i have changed the whole website design few weeks ago using a new theme but all the permalinkg and "seo" settings are the same.
EDIT: Rechecking again, it started to show some impression finally! It was driving me crazy!

Now i feel dumb