New keyboards suck!

contract

We're all gunna mine it brah.
Degree
$99-$149 for a keyboard these days.. :neutral:

And NONE of them last. The keys pop off, the rechargeable battery eventually reaches end of life, bluetooth connection is shoddy or just doesn't work at all.

Meanwhile a $5 wired keyboard from 98' will prob be the only keyboard you will ever need to buy.

Bought an Apple keyboard for $100 and it stopped working. Bought a $99 Matias apple-look alike keyboard and the P key came off. Now it refuses to connect. Now I'm considering an Apple Magic keyboard for $149.

That's $348 in keyboards within 3 years lol. :wonder:

CCarter

Final Boss ®
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
You are buying from nonsense places. You need yourself a Mechanic Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate mechanical keyboard,

Vbyz5FT.png

Features:

1. Gold plated keys.
2. LOUD AS HELL key strokes.
3. something something
4. Solid sturdy feel.
5. Completely blank keys cause who has time to look at the keyboard - you've already memorized the letter long ago. Or fall back and cry then order a version with fancy "letter" and the number thingys.

These things last forever - I had my old one stole cause it was so fancy, they left everything and took the keyboard... WTF. (Now that I think about it, it could have been an employee that I pissed off cause the keyboard was so loud).

#OverBossMode

SmokeTree

Developer/Linux Consultant
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Lol, get on my level bishes.

1gZkYF7.jpg

You think you type fast?

HG3Acj6.gif

Come at me, bro's.

(It's the old school Ergodox you have to piece together from all over the planet and solder all the switches, etc. The teensy controller lets you program a zillion layers and set keys up to do anything you want. I even added 15 degree wood tilts on the bottom for more ergonomic hotness. I think I'll switch to dark gray instead of the blue at some point.)

Y'all ain't ready.

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
Another + for Das Keyboard. I've had the Model S for AGES and it's a tank.

I keep trying to find excuses to replace it with something new, but it's just too good.

Get yourself a solid mechanical keyboard instead of something that looks cool.

The difference between those sleek flat keyboards where the keys barely travel when you press them, vs something that's actually designed to be typed on, is definitely worth it for anyone who spends any amount of time typing.

Hit up a computer store if you can and try out a few different styles of switches even if you're ordering online, finding the right style is important.

If you like it to really click and clack like those oldschool IBM keyboards, you can find ones like that, or ones that have switches that are silent, ones that give you feedback so you're pressing the key the perfect distance (without bottoming out and adding extra stress to your fingers), etc etc.

turbin3

BuSo Pro
Degree
The difference between those sleek flat keyboards where the keys barely travel when you press them, vs something that's actually designed to be typed on, is definitely worth it for anyone who spends any amount of time typing.

This is the truth. I'm all about ergonomic subtleties that improve efficiency or experience. The average person probably doesn't care, but then again BuSo isn't exactly full of "average" people. :wink:

Somewhat unrelated but, for those that are into this stuff, definitely check out old IBM or Lenovo Thinkpads. Stuff like the X200, X220, T520p, etc. Up until ~2012-2013, those old Thinkpads had proper, oldschool keyboards. They're a joy to write or code on. It's also kind of a rare experience for being a laptop. Best part is, a lot of those laptops are super cheap and plentiful right now.

Degree
Once you go mechanical, you can't go back.
I've had this Ducky Shine 3 for a few years now and it has been flawless. Love the solid build.
large_651950efdd871d25.png

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I had a Vortex Poker 2 (they're now on Pok3r, the 3rd model) and it was great.

iNNJ3QV.jpg

Replaced it eventually after a critical key died. But the 60% and ten key-less models are great if you want a tiny keyboard that eats up little desk real estate. If you game or even use spread sheets a lot though, make sure you have arrow keys and not some weird Function + WASD style of thing.

Degree
I am currently using the Apple Magic 2 with the built-in rechargeable battery + the Magic Mouse 2 (paired with 5k 27" iMac). I absolutely love the feel of the keys. It took me a little while to adjust from a normal keyboard at first. I had to somewhat relearn to type again and force myself to stop pounding on the keyboard. The keys are very precise, low profile and easy to click vs a traditional keyboard.

I've had absolutely no issues with charging, the wireless connection or any durability problems with the keyboard itself (I can typically go 1-2 months with one charge). It's made very well and solid sturdy construction.

Bqk6G91.jpg

Bastion

Neophyte
Degree
kb600-angled-l-1982x1024_1024x1024.png

3 year warranty, but probably will last 10+ years. Oh, and take care of that carpal tunnel issue for good.

BCN

$$$$ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ $$$$
Degree
I have apple magic keyboard + trackpad (both the new and old versions), it's the best one I've had so far. I don't do much writing, but writing a lot of code.

eliquid

Digital Strategist
Degree

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
I think it's safe to say Ryuzaki wins the thread, unless someone comes in with one of these...

DJ8oGPQUMAAzzDw.jpg

RomesFall

‍‍‍
BuSo Pro
Degree
The real question here is how do you guys keep your keyboards clean? lol

seoauthority

BuSo Pro
Degree
This is my weapon of choice:

71xu3hJ4BPL._SL1500_.jpg

But i work portabkle a lot and for that i acquired microsofts latest foldable offering:

51%2BnQO7PC9L._SX679_.jpg

Rageix

BuSo Pro
Degree

Wipe them off with a moist (not overly wet or anything) cloth.

Once you start noticing a lot of shit between the keys, break out the key puller. Take all the key caps off and wash them with soap and water. Run a cotton swab with isopropal alchohol around the grooves to get the shit out. Let it all air out, then put the key caps back on.

Robin

I ain't Robin
BuSo Pro
Degree
Wet tissues, microfiber cloth, once in a while some rubbing alcohol, once in a while popping off all keys and washing them, a toothbrush to clean the cracks.

---

As many have already mentioned; something sturdy and solid built.
I have had a great experience with a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i (ten keyless keyboard == no numpad); heavy and robust, it's more of a weapon than a keyboard.
09wZu0Y.jpg

becool

BuSo Pro
Degree
This stuff’s fancy. I’m using a Microsoft Surface Keyboard (the one without the wrist pad) and I like it. I’m going back to a standing desk, so hopefully it’ll work well with it.

The good keyboards posted here remind me of the old-school keyboards that accompanied an 8086 computer. Solid keys, built to last, loud and the like. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

At the risk of getting obnoxiously controversial, I also like Anker's vertical mouse.

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
I was a das keyboard user for my last two boards (~3 yrs) and while I loved my first one, it went on the fritz, got a second and the spacebar was wack! For a while I thought i was das or nothing, but overall I lost the magic feeling

Just bought this Hyper X Alloy FPS pro. Love it. The bezel sits down below the keys completely, I got the loud as hell MX blue clickys, and I actually the tenkeyless design for space saving.

147457_large.jpg

LiamGallagher

On my way out of the 9-5
Degree
I got myself this one:
0000769_masterkeys-pro-s-rgb-cherry-mx-switch-bluebrownred_2048.jpeg

It's my first mechanical keyboard and it's been great so far. Also, as stupid as it might sound, I've been learning how to type properly, using al the damn fingers and not looking at the keyboard. The sensation is very satisfying. Gotta love @Ryuzaki 's crazy keyboard, I'm sure he can type very very fast.