New here, thought I'd give this strategy

Degree
Hey everyone, I was referred here a week ago and have been reading some of the content. Excellent stuff!

I love the idea of traffic leaks and am planning on testing it out and seeing how I can work it into my strategy. (I've relied solely on SEO and I'd like to diversify away from Google a bit just in case.)

Since I'm new here, I figured a good way to start would be to offer something up. So, here's this Twitter strategy I have used (sporadically) to build social proof on some of my posts...

What I try and do is pit two fan bases against each other in order to try and get a bunch more shares to a post.

To do that, I prepare a graphic that puts one product on one side and it's competing product on the other side. So, for example a Samsung Galaxy on one side and an iPhone on the other side. Then in the graphic I put a big "VS" in the middle and a "LIKE" under one of the products and a "RETWEET" under the other product.

Then, before I tweet it out, I would go find an account with a bunch of each product's fan base as followers. So in this example, I would probably go to one of Apple's and one of Samsung's twitter accounts and just start mass following all of their followers.

You can either do that right in Twitter or use a tool like ManageFlitter to filter out some of the more spammy accounts.

Then, once you've mass followed fans of each account, tweet out the graphic along with some text like the following:

----
Which one would you rather have:

FAV for S7
RT for iPhone

[insert a link to your site at the bottom]
----

Then pin that tweet to the top of your page so that all of the followers who start to trickle in will see it. Hopefully, they'll want to take up arms for their favorite brand and Like or Retweet accordingly.

I link to a buyer's guide on one of my sites that correlates with the two products listed and I get a bit of traffic from it.

If you are smarter and more dedicated than me, you could probably build up the following for a week in advance to maximize impact.

Like I said above, I mainly rely on SEO, but when I have gotten a wild hair up my butt and decided to give Social Media a go, I've tried this method and there is---at a minimum---the power to get some free social proof to content on your site from it.

I'm probably not the first to do this method, but I figured I'd share it for anyone who has never heard of it. And, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some out there who could put this tactic to use far better than I have.

Hope this helps a bit! And, in any case, glad to be here.

Sounds like a good polarization effort to sucker in the gullible. I think measuring it as worthwhile all depends on how you monetize past the click. These people likely already own the phones if they're passionate enough to engage in a wasted convo.

True, the phones probably weren't the best example, as everyone is pretty much already on one side of the fence there. I was using it mainly to get more shares on my article and to rile up some kind of engagement.

Of course, I had no trackers setup to properly test how it effective it was, but I figured that with the traffic leaking strategy discussed here, someone might be able to find more use out of it.

Kind of an egobait

I have to apologize. I didn't know what egobait meant and I thought you were talking trash to me. Sorry man!

Back