New here, fishing for ideas & inspiration for a new site

Degree
Hey everybody, I've been looking for a forum for a while to be apart of, since this work can get pretty hard and everyone can use tips and suggestions from time to time.

When I'm not freaking out about drops in earnings or the latest downgrades in affiliate programs, I'm thinking of new projects to start that can improve my $ situation.

One of the projects I've been thinking about is a domain of mine, [REDACTED], and what to do with it. It's got the word [REDACTED], and the .redacted extension in it, so I always assumed they'd relate somehow with the site.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on what would make sense to put on that domain, I'd like to hear it. Maybe you read a killer case study about a successful local website that could be duplicated here, or maybe it sounds like it'd be a good directory. I could use ideas.

I'm currently working on rebuilding a niche affiliate site, following some of the tips found on this forum, and when I'm done with it i'll tackle this new project, so I figured now would be a good time to post my intro on this forum and fish for ideas/inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

First off....don't share your URLs on public forums in the future. As much as we all get along here, people and lurkers will steal your ideas.

Secondly.... [REDACTED] should be a directory of recreational activities in cities across the USA (or world). You should keep the directory as broad as possible. Then, you can simply sell spots to local businesses in each city. They should each get their own profile page that lists who they are, who they cater to, and what kind of fun things can be done at their establishment.

Alternatively, you can list the businesses for free and make your money on adverts.

What kind of recreational activities? ANYTHING.
  • rock climbing
  • mini golf
  • hiking
  • video game clubs
  • jetskis
As long as your site navigation and UX is on point...this could be a solid venture for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd think that you'd honestly be better off niche-ing down early and as soon as possible.

Perhaps keep your existing domain and then subdomain out to niches?

More and more I've noticed that people are in "Groups", like on facebook or some other network. It's never really a big, large general thing but small, local, focused groups imo work well. That way, it's like "sub-reddits" in a way where you can have the community members kind of police/run the board but you collect ad revenue or whatever your monetization would be. People could upvote or whatever your clever branding term would be for that city/region.

Or if the subdomain/sub-reddit style doesn't fit I'd just start over again and have these sites interlink. I'd just really want to portray to my people that this is "your" tribe, "your city". Run by you, upvoted by you, etc. etc. etc. The "Foodie Tribe" and/or the "Yoga/Meditation Tribe" etc. all part of your .city.

Back