Netflix Snags Killer Domain Fast.com and Launches Minimalistic Bandwidth Speed Test...

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Source: https://fast.com

woPWacq.png

I've always used Speakeasy, and I'd prefer Fast.com but there's no upstream test!

Interesting move on their part, to use a domain like that as support for their core service... plus it's like a Game of Thrones move...

So many ISP's are throttling Netflix... this is going to expose a lot of people to the bullshittery of their corrupt ISP's, who'd rather not provide the service they're selling and have to make infrastructure changes to keep up with the evolution of the internet.

Why is Netflix offering Fast.com?
We want our members to have a simple, quick, commercial-free way to estimate the speed their ISP is providing.

What can I do if I'€™m not getting the speed I pay for?
If results from fast.com and other speed tests often show less speed than you have paid for, you can ask your ISP about the results.
Beautiful play, useful tool.

Beautiful play. And like you said - very GoT / propaganda style.

• Decent domain - a nice little asset, could be also a boon for accounting trickery
  • Sucks more bandwidth, puts the hurt on the ISPs a little more with all of their customers running tests
  • Firmly points the finger at ISPs even when computer / lan issues might be coming into play
  • Establishes netflix as the 'good guys', they just want to help you not get fucked by those scummy isps. And any issues you have have to be caused by them, never due to any weird netflix hiccup
  • Gets links, PR, lead gen for their core product. Earned media will probably be insane on their marketing / CoGs report.
  • Collects massive data about actual speeds on devices / geos (mac tracking, etc) - might be being used to establish a case for filtering / traffic shaping at the ISP level.
I love it. I know a couple of dudes who worked on this and it was very very deeply planned in many ways. Not some quick tool as it appears.

I pay for 4mbs so this is close

NXVXkBL.jpg

I pay for 60, I'm pissed :(

k8jBMSs.png

^ I'd kill for that lol, I think the fastest my country goes up to is 40mbs

XAYImme.png

I pay for 45. It jumped to 9.9 and stayed there.

I bet fastcompany is salty lol.

DPX3Jdg.png

This is about 13Mbps slower than what I pay for :Rage: lol

Back