My Indexation is Bloated by 4x the Amount of Pages It Should Have

Degree
I have around 70 pages on my site, but Google Search Console shows 470.

This seems to be because it is indexing my jump links (#) as separate pages.

Is this a problem?

Thanks!

I have around 70 pages on my site, but Google Search Console shows 470.
This seems to be because it is indexing my jump links (#) as separate pages.

Is it showing these jump links under the Coverage Report as separate URLs (it shouldn't be)?
Or is it reporting them to you as pages that are receiving clicks and impressions (which is fine, it's just more granular data for you)?

Is it showing these jump links under the Coverage Report as separate URLs (it shouldn't be)?
Or is it reporting them to you as pages that are receiving clicks and impressions (which is fine, it's just more granular data for you)?

Thanks for responding.

Search Console is showing more pages on the Coverage Report than I actually have on my site.

Here is a screenshot:

fYJjI6e.jpeg

[don't use media embeds for imgur images]

I have only 72 posts on my site, yet this shows 192!

Could the extra pages be tags, categories, or images?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only 72 posts on my site, yet this shows 192!

Could the extra pages be tags, categories, or images?

Yes, it can be tags, categories, and paginated parts of those too. If you're using tags willy-nilly and have a bunch of them, then that could be it. But in your screenshot where it says Details, you can click on that row and see exactly what pages are indexed that aren't in your sitemap. It'll tell you what's going on.

Yes, it can be tags, categories, and paginated parts of those too. If you're using tags willy-nilly and have a bunch of them, then that could be it. But in your screenshot where it says Details, you can click on that row and see exactly what pages are indexed that aren't in your sitemap. It'll tell you what's going on.
Thanks! Very helpful indeed.

There are category pages and tags in the coverage report and URLs ending with this: "?attachment_id=1374/"

I hope nothing malicious is going on.

There are category pages and tags in the coverage report and URLs ending with this: "?attachment_id=1374/"

Sounds like you're using Wordpress. These are media/image attachment pages. For some dumb reason Wordpress will create a page using these ?query_parameters for every piece of media that's attached to a page or post. The solution to getting rid of them is to redirect them to their parent post.

If you're using Yoast, they make it real simple to do this:

Zj2FNPy.jpg

But no, it's not malicious or nefarious or anything. Just stupid Wordpress things that shouldn't exist still but do for some reason.

Back