My Complete Thoughts On SEO In 2017 [Video & AMA]

Charles Floate

The Artist Formerly Known as God of SEO
BuSo Pro
Degree
So every year I do a presentation on my thoughts on the state of SEO and my opinions on the future weeks, months and years to come.

This year is no different, and in fact it's probably my best one yet -

I started typing out a TL;DR for this video and it ended up looking like some insane list, so I just deleted it..

This thread doubles as a 2017 SEO Q&A thread, so any questions surrounding my thoughts in the video or something I missed - Ask me anything!

Thanks
- Charles

For anyone watching here and wanting to jump around, this is from the video description:
  • 00:00 - Start
  • 00:55 - Introduction
  • 01:28 - SEO Is No Longer Easy
  • 02:55 - Penguin 4.0 aka Rolling Penguin
  • 05:00 - PBNs Are (For Me) Kinda Dead
  • 08:17 - The Knowledge Graph
  • 10:41 - Trust Signals Are More Important Than Ever
  • 12:22 - Citations Are Overrated
  • 13:57 - Most Local Searches Are via Mobile
  • 15:15 - Topical SEO & Topical Relevancy
  • 17:59 - SEO Is Not Dead!
  • 18:54 - Final Thoughts & Some Ranting
  • 23:22 - Conclusion
Penguin - I agree, disavow is working a lot faster now. It's all about finding as many as you can, that's the struggle. No source lists them all. But I've found on algorithmically penalized sites, every batch I add to disavow increases the traffic. Finding them is the roadblock for people who can't buy a subscription from the services needed.

PBNs - You've said something incidentally in your PBN discussion that dances around a big secret that I won't point out beyond this... listen closely! It has nothing to do with PBNs and is completely white hat if you do it right.

Trust - Yessss. The Big Brand effect. You skimmed across the top (since this is about 2017) but this is without a doubt the THING that matters in SEO the most now, for the past couple years, and for the forseeable future.

Relevancy - I've talked about this nonstop on BuSo. I was lucky to be buddies with one of the first people to realize this was coming. I watched this person make a ton of cash selling links around the concept while I used it for my own sites. It's killer. Now, you can't even find a decent link offer that doesn't follow this niche relevancy concept now. There's a reason.

Great video. Anyone unsure about SEO will gain a good frame of reference by listening to this.

Skimmed the video and enjoyed it. Going back now for the super secret PBN hype....

For anyone watching here and wanting to jump around, this is from the video description:
  • 00:00 - Start
  • 00:55 - Introduction
  • 01:28 - SEO Is No Longer Easy
  • 02:55 - Penguin 4.0 aka Rolling Penguin
  • 05:00 - PBNs Are (For Me) Kinda Dead
  • 08:17 - The Knowledge Graph
  • 10:41 - Trust Signals Are More Important Than Ever
  • 12:22 - Citations Are Overrated
  • 13:57 - Most Local Searches Are via Mobile
  • 15:15 - Topical SEO & Topical Relevancy
  • 17:59 - SEO Is Not Dead!
  • 18:54 - Final Thoughts & Some Ranting
  • 23:22 - Conclusion
Penguin - I agree, disavow is working a lot faster now. It's all about finding as many as you can, that's the struggle. No source lists them all. But I've found on algorithmically penalized sites, every batch I add to disavow increases the traffic. Finding them is the roadblock for people who can't buy a subscription from the services needed.

PBNs - You've said something incidentally in your PBN discussion that dances around a big secret that I won't point out beyond this... listen closely! It has nothing to do with PBNs and is completely white hat if you do it right.

Trust - Yessss. The Big Brand effect. You skimmed across the top (since this is about 2017) but this is without a doubt the THING that matters in SEO the most now, for the past couple years, and for the forseeable future.

Relevancy - I've talked about this nonstop on BuSo. I was lucky to be buddies with one of the first people to realize this was coming. I watched this person make a ton of cash selling links around the concept while I used it for my own sites. It's killer. Now, you can't even find a decent link offer that doesn't follow this niche relevancy concept now. There's a reason.

Great video. Anyone unsure about SEO will gain a good frame of reference by listening to this.

Thanks man, and relevancy (both On and OffPage) has been hugely important for me for years.

Good stuff here Charles. I'm going to dumb this down and send it to prospective clients. Might add a part about how SEO can take at least 9-12 months to see ROI and in come niches even longer.

Back