My analytics data is confusing me

Degree
I am using woopra analytics on a newish site that I bought from TB solutions I have put some content on the site. There are maybe 10k words on the site over a handful of posts.

I am watching the site traffic, its obviously low at the moment but something I am seeing is thatt he traffic is almost always showing as "direct or local bookmark" which means they are not coming via search. Now the interesting thing i that these people are coming to posts which I have just made in the last 24 hours and there are no direct links or redirects to these posts therefore they cannot possibly be typing the URL in or using a local bookmark.

I did read somewhere that a number of people who come to the site and show up as "direct" can actually be from search engines and I am trying to understand why this is and if there is an accurate way of telling whats going on?

I am not expecting to make a load of commission yet and job 1 is massive content but at the same time I am curious about this traffic I am getting.... can anyone help shed any light on this "direct" traffic?

The first thing I'd suspect, based on the time frame of the traffic, is that it's bot traffic. Are you filtering for bots, ghost host names, referral spam, etc?

no - is there any easy reading on that you can recommend?

You need to filter the bots through robots.txt

Another possibility is that your stat counter may be counting your own IP as a visit through page previews and such as you're editing/publishing?

The first thing I'd suspect, based on the time frame of the traffic, is that it's bot traffic. Are you filtering for bots, ghost host names, referral spam, etc?

I concur. Robots. I bet that your bounce rate is 100% for that traffic

no - is there any easy reading on that you can recommend?

Go into your analytics and navigate to settings and check the box that says filter known bots. This only accounts for a very small percentage unfortunately. The referral spam can be filtered out by going to the filters menu and creating a new filter. When creating a new filter choose "Exclude domain" and enter the domain that is sending referral spam traffic. This should help clean some of your analytic data up.

This may or may not be too advanced for you, but I'd recommend taking a look at your server logs for days that seem to be affected. Server logs are the ONLY 100% accurate detail of who/what is visiting your site and you will be able to definitively tell if a ton of bots are visiting your site, and then spin up the appropriate lines in your robots.txt to deal with them.

Taking a cursory look isn't too difficult, but feel free to ask me some questions on how to do so if you're stuck!

I know its not my IP and it looks like a portion of thet traffic is good as they are browsing the site and coming in with a google referrer which I know in itself is not 100% accurate but it seems more viable than a direct hit to the site which leaves a comment.

Would robots really help with this? I would not have thought spam bots etc would respect instructions in a robots file?

@Frog I highly suspect its bot traffic..whenever i set up new analytics I always follow this guide [ i can't post link but search 'digitaldart analytics for shopify' ]

Back