Multilingual Wordpress but Different Content.

Degree
Hello Buso,

I need help, suggestion about building multilingual targeting multi-country, the site is same niche but have different content.

Let's said, keyword A for english, but keyword A don't existing in non-english version.

How to setup it properly with wordpress, i trying to read most popular translation plugin, but don't have any answer from it.

maybe some example that i can tell you is : cleaningpedia*com (by unilever).

Thankyou so much for any responses :smile:

What exactly is the problem?

Are you concerned about adding the hreflang attribute? You could use custom fields to add the rel="alternate" pages (each language on each page) and the hreflang="x-default" href="" default page, as <link> tags in the HTML header. You can also add the rel="canonical" this way too.

If the pages don't exist in two language sub-folders on the site (that's probably what I'd do like .com/es/post-slug/) then do you even need hreflang attributes on those? I'm thinking not, but I'm also not the most experienced with this. @Philip J. Fry probably knows more if he has time.

Easiest way to do this is to have a new subdomain for each language. So, WWW.domain.com is English, ES.domain.com is Spanish, DE.domain.com is German, and so forth. You have a homepage in each language and individual blog posts for each language. If a word is in one language and not in another, totally ok and normal. You also have to take language peculiarities too when determining search intent. "application" might be for an application form or it might mean "to apply for" depending on the language. That'll totally change the meaning of the post. Therefore, simply translating blog posts is not a good option.

You can also go with different subfolders (ie domain.com/en/stuff and domain.com/es/stuff and domain.com/de/stuff) but that's harder to do in Wordpress IMO -- what language is domain.com/index.php going to be in then? all 3?

Anyways, as a guy who runs sites in 14 languages -- including Chinese for Baidu in China -- stick with the language you speak :smile: It makes things a lot easier. Once you have a good return on capital in that language, add another. Adding other languages is a huge capital investment.

I use different country level domains.

As an aside, I just launched a site in a different country and linked the individual pages to each translated page, and so far the results seem pretty good. I don't think I would normally be ranking as high as I do. Already I am at 20-30 for my roundup reviews, which I think is too early, I would usually put this at something like 4-6 months for that.

I suppose because the domain names are the same except the extension and because they're linked on a page basis, Google might attribute that some extra SEO value.

I went .com/lan/
You can decide where the translate button leads to per article. If there is no corresponding article/keyword I go to the category page.

Maybe you do it because of your very specific niche, but I would never auto-translate anything.

Back