Monetizing a Car Review Website

Degree
Hey Guys

Feels great to be part of this community. I have a Car reviews site which is currently ranking on First Page for multiple keywords. It gets about 5000-10000 traffic each month. I am not able to understand how to monetize it. Other than Google Adwords from which I earn close to $300 per month I am thinking of ways I can monetize. Please advise some ways that you feel could go well with this type of niche. Only disadvantage with such niches is you cannot apply to Amazon Affiliate Program :smile:

Last edited:
I would go CPA first and foremost, but if that's not an option for whatever reason, an eBook perhaps?

Car selling platforms?

::emp::

Shoot me a PM, I am an inhouse SEO at very large car data company (hint edmunds.com is our direct competitor.)

Autotrader.com affiliate program through CJ?
AutoZone/Advance Auto Parts through CJ?
Autopia Car Care & Autogeek for detailing and car cleaning supplies through CJ?
if your really getting bold, maybe Car Title loans http://leadsmarket.com/Car-Title-Loan-Leads-Affiliate-Program.aspx?
like @MetaData said, auto insurance is a big one with great payouts.

i've worked with a couple local car dealerships in town for front-end and some back-end dev, and I can tell you first hand what I would do that is very profitable, though I don't know if you can do it without a car dealer license/lot.
These are services dealers usually sell to customers when they buy a car and bundle it in their car loans:
1. 3rd Service/Warranty Contracts - Theres usually 3 levels you can offer people buying cars. I would get in contact with https://www.ascwarranty.com/asp/index.asp. This is the largest Service contract carrier that I know of for independent car dealers.
2. Theft Protection with etching Stickers on car parts, again, you might need to be a dealer for this one. Mark-ups are anywhere from $300-800 dollars per sale. https://allstatecarcare.com/Products/Theft
3. GAP insurance coverage.

Im sure there's tons more to offer, but i haven't had my morning coffee yet. :wink:

Also, depending if this site ranks locally for a certain "City" + "Keyword" term, you can rent ad space to local car dealers that have similar inventory to the reviewed vehicles. I would start off by offering them a couple weeks free banner space and if they are getting calls, pitch them a price. Independent car dealers make good money, anywhere from 1k-10k per car they move (and depending on inventory levels, can move anywhere between 30-90 cars a month with 90-120 cars on the lot) depending on the services they bundle with the sale and if they financed the car for the buyer.

Dont be afraid to hit them nice and high ($1000+ for banner space), believe it or not, that's cheap if you bringing them leads. I used to post ad's on craigslist for about 5-7 car dealers throughout my area when ad's were free (now they're $5 a post) and used to charge each of them $1000 for only craigslist ad's. That's on top of them paying Autotrader upwards to $2500 a month, Cars.com and vehix.com as well. These were independent car dealers, might I add. New Car stores (franchise) are on another playing field. Those guys have monthly marketing budgets as high as some us make in a years time. :evil:

Thanks a lot guys! Lots of great ideas to help me come up with a plan for next 3 months. I will try to classify these activities into a matrix ranking against parameters such as Time to Implementation, Money Potential so that i can prioritize which activities to work first at.
Summarizing activities from above :
1. Selling Amazon Products in related niches - Car Stereos/Car Mats/Car Accessories etc.
2. Selling Leads either through CPA Platform or Approaching Local Dealers
3. Selling Banner Ads to Local Dealers
4. Affiliate Programs for these Auto Companies
4. Getting into Related Niches like Car Insurance, Car Loans, Bundled Services - Selling Leads/Percentage Stake with Local Dealers for every sale from the website

I might start with Option 1 and 2 and explore Number 3. Also I am thinking of capturing emails for visitors by creating lead magnets / content boxes so that I have a potential list to target later in future. I will try to keep updating the results here.

Sounds like a plan! Keep us updated, curious to hear how much you can improve those earnings.

One thing to keep in mind about building a list for the future is that if you wait too long those people may have already bought their cars.

Back