Mobile App vs Mobile Web App?

Joe

Degree
Hi All,

I recently finished an android app and published it. It was just a simple one to get started, but it got some downloads and ad impressions. This is a trivial achievement and not a cent yet, but it's exciting for me because I've never had recognition for any work I've ever done like this.

I'm now working on a web app, which has a pretty hefty MVP (it'll take months to get it up and running because it's in languages I'm not fluent in yet). But after that is done I have another app idea I think will be popular and freemium-able, based on some niches I'm familiar with.

However, in order to have full coverage, you have to write an app for both android and iphone. This means double the effort -- actually even more, as I'll need to buy a mac and learn the languages and development processes iphone apps use. Therefore, I'm leaning more towards making a Mobile Web App (perhaps with Mobile App wrappers for each OS), instead of just a pair of Mobile Apps.

Does anyone here have experience with both? Under what circumstances would you recommend one versus the other?

Cheers!

I don't have much experience, but...
actually even more, as I'll need to buy a mac
You can just as easily use a virtual machine.
learn the languages and development processes iphone apps use
You could simply outsource the iOS and Android app development, if you really think the idea is worth it, and focus on what is more important. Validating the idea and marketing the app. That is if you have the resources.
Under what circumstances would you recommend one versus the other?
There great web apps, but none of them come close to being as user friendly and reactive as native apps. That is true for both iOS and Android.

However, depending on the nature of your product, you might getaway with having a web app for the browser first, and if it has proven to have interest, you can expand.

Take Giphy for example. Two dudes hacked together a site that let people search, upload, download, hotlink and search gifs. Nothing major. Marketing? None. Sent a few friends a few links, who then also sent those links to their friends. Next thing you know, they are mentioned by The Verge and TechCrunch and others. Now they have investors throwing money at them, millions of dollars. First couple of weeks - $1mil in funding to expand and build their project. Now: http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/16/gi...ries-c-at-a-300-million-post-money-valuation/ $300 million in valuation with $55 million in funding. Now their service is integrated into Facebook, Telegram, Twitter. With no apps for Android or iOS, just the site at the start.

Also interesting, watch this:
Evolution of AirBnB design. They started as a simple WordPress site, and now they are sitting at $26billion valuation.
Or take a look at first Twitter design: http://imgur.com/7V5Xd08 Twitter is now also worth around $30 billion.

I went a bit on a tangent here, but my point is that you don't have to have the perfect set up at first. Its better to build upon a stable foundation, as in the user base presence and their interest.

This is just my opinion..

Back