Migrating a wordpress website

TacoCat

Bueno...
BuSo Pro
Degree
Can anyone recommend any good guides out there? I've never done that before, and I have a habit of fucking something up If I do it on my own.

Today I logged in my Hostgator Cpanel and there it was. The message that My site is beeing cached due to the fact that I'm using too much of their resources.

So I will be moving to KnownHost VPS.

But I don't know how to do it. :( So any pointers would be great.

Just get the BackupBuddy plugin.

Install it on the site on the current host, grab your backup, load wordpress on the new host, install backupbuddy, and load the backup of the site. Done.

Old site - install plugin
Old site - backup all that is needed via plugin

New site - install WP
New site - install plugin
new site - restore from backup

Done

Read the tutorials if unsure.

::emp::

I'd recommend the CLI, but I'll assume you're not familiar with bash commands.

MYSQLDUMP and zipping your public_html appropriate files and folder would do the job. I'm not sure if I'd trust a plugin to do that.

I recommend you get off cpanel if you go on a VPS. You'll save tons of money on hosting costs that way.

There's no bigger waste that paying $8-$20(depending on provider) a month for a cpanel licence. For $16.67 a month, I could get a dedicated with 8gb ram and dual probably old xeon processors on a 12 month contract.

Most competent hosts will migrate your site for free or for a small fee. Just ask them.

Edit: FAQ on Knownhost

https://www.knownhost.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

Will you migrate my hosting account/websites from another provider?
  • Yes, as long as your are using the same control panel. Please follow the normal order procedure. Once you receive the welcome email please submit a support ticket through our support portal.

Back