Mass Generated Sites with Millions of Pages of Spun Content

Degree
Hi guys! We've registered this account here and we hope you'll support us

As soon as we will get possibility to post in "Search" forum we reveal some great things for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are mass generated sites still a thing? Seems like this is something that may have been effective 10-15 years ago. Surely Google is smart enough to realize that any site that has posted millions, or even just thousands of new posts on the same day is pure spam. Not to mention the fact that it is spun content, which will also trigger something algorithmically within Google. Or am I missing something?

This opinion propagandized by those people who want to make money through a copywriting :smile:

For this time our clients and we have made a lot of "spun" sites and they works good.

When you say they work good, do they rank and get traffic long term or is it more of a short term churn and burn type thing? Can you pm me an example of such a site?

This definitely still works.
I know someone who has over 10 dedicated servers and creates 100's of churn and burn sites each week, making a very good full time living from them too!

This definitely still works.
I know someone who has over 10 dedicated servers and creates 100's of churn and burn sites each week, making a very good full time living from them too!

I'm not trying to be combative here, especially not with you, but we need to define what "works" means.

For me, works means that you spit these sites into the SERPs and they stay for some respectable amount of time and make some money... MORE money than you would make creating a SINGLE respectable website.

If someone's having to create 100's (plural), meaning at least 200 a week if not 500 or 900, I'm going to be very suspect about how well this really works. If someone's creating 100's a week, that's absolutely indicative that Google has this under control very well. My guess is most of these sites don't earn enough to cover their domain registry fee, even if they're using $1 .xyz and .info extensions, before being deindexed.

This opinion propagandized by those people who want to make money through a copywriting :smile:

The case is that nobody is pumping out automatic spun content that reads like a human wrote it, let alone is persuasive and emotionally charged enough to increase conversion rates on sales. It's comparing apples to oranges on both sides of the argument when there's a complete chasm in between.

The difference is that it'd be stupid to try to convince someone to buy a $300,000 car using spun content, and it'd be stupid to try to generate 300,000 pages of content by paying a professional copywriter.

But there's definitely no nefarious agenda by the copywriters of the world who get paid $25 per word to stop people from spinning horrible content. There's no competition between the two.

Are mass generated sites still a thing? Seems like this is something that may have been effective 10-15 years ago.

We can list even just a few of Google's updates and policies that have specifically dealt with this kind of thing off the top of our heads:
  • Farmer update
  • Panda update
  • Fred update
  • Doorway pages policy
  • Keyword permutations policy
That's not even to mention that they most likely have a grammar and syntax error counter.

The reality is that this boat sailed at least a decade ago. If it requires you to register 100's (plural) domains per week, even if you have it automated, re-spin content and populate databases (or re-use the same content over and over)... what are you doing with your life? Are you even remotely concerned with contributing to society or are you just littering the internet?

If you don't have a better reason to do things than just "I want money," you might as well take up a life of crime.

Very much still works, I used to do it. But this is by no means a long term strategy.

If you just wanna net $15k or $20k/mo for a bit, and all you care about is money, it's fine. But be prepared to invest half of your gross just to keep the training wheels from falling off.

Anyone trying to sell you some bullshit automated tool, that never once mentions the giant target you'll be placing on your back, running aliases, buying prepaid credit cards, creative icann identities, etc... They are full of shit trying to sell picks to miners. And we haven't even touched on the big G yet.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... you had damn sure learn what a mirrored load balancer is, and how to custom code a rerouting protocol. Because if any one of these stupid autogen tool sellers were actually using the tools they sell, they would quickly find out how hard it is to keep 100's of millions of urls in the index without bringing every "cloud" server you can buy to it's knees.

That, and having an influencer profile to leverage, so you can negotiate special rates with registrars, while scratching their backs of course. (every dollar/yr counts when you maintain multiple registrar identities with thousands of domains in them. It becomes an investment strategy at scale, not even churn and burn anymore.)

If it's not obvious, no I don't do this anymore... I wouldn't be talking about it at all if I did. Do yourself a favor, go build something of value instead. You'll make more money, for longer, with no income ceiling, and you'll be far far happier. Solve problems for real people instead of bots.

Edit - Ryu explained more eloquently than I above. And to confirm, it's more like launching 10 - 100 sites a day. And whatever this Serp Farm brand thing is, I can tell you right now I don't like it, but hey hats off to them for getting theirs. (but do you really think I would sell you my platform if it was making me rich? Come on guys...)

Last edited:
Edit - Ryu explained more eloquently than I above. And to confirm, it's more like launching 10 - 100 sites a day. And whatever this Serp Farm brand thing is, I can tell you right now I don't like it, but hey hats off to them for getting theirs. (but do you really think I would sell you my platform if it was making me rich? Come on guys...)

Sorry to quote you but this Serp Farm thing i don´t like it either. Why i say this?

Smells like some hidden self promotion to me. But maybe its just me :smile: Curious how this thing plays out.

For me, works means that you spit these sites into the SERPs and they stay for some respectable amount of time and make some money... MORE money than you would make creating a SINGLE respectable website.

Yes, you essentially create the thin sites en-mass and some take off and others don't. However, those that do take off can make quite a bit of money.

I used to do it a few years ago, using very thin content (only a spun piece of header content) and then listing eBay auctions to get the affiliate click. However, these are not Wordpress sites - they are ones created using PHP and a lightweight template designed to accept a list of keywords which appear as pages for indexing.

Sure, sometimes you get your sites (loads of them) deindexed out of the gate, but others sneak through and keep earning all year. Others get the initial Google love and make their costs 1000 times over before they are killed off. Also, over time, you get to see which niches work best for this sort of thing and some sites get dropped from Google but survive in Bing and vice versa.

Here is my eBay Partner Network report from last year with the thin sites I keep running because they are still indexed and are still earning (only 4 sites in total). Sure, it's not going to get me that Lambo (actually I would prefer a Maserati) but for sites where you are doing nothing to them after they have launched and they are 100% automated, it's pretty neat.

A9CGS7Z.png

Why don't I do it still?

I found it very soulless and a constant cat and mouse game of using bots to register domains, create cloudflare accounts, set up sites and get everything up and running. I am sure one of the people I know who still does this pretty much just loads up a list of new domains to register (not always .info) and presses a button to make the sites.

Of course you have to keep testing and tweaking your templates, how the affiliate offers are shown etc to keep ahead of the "don't leave a footprint" game, plus deal with the deluge of traffic and bots you get to your sites but if you have the persistence and coding savvy, it can work very well.

However, those that do take off can make quite a bit of money.

You made less than $700 for the year? How is that quite a bit of money? Is that really success in your mind? If you were making $700 a week, then that's okay, a month, that's terrible, a year... That doesn't sound like a smart use of your limited time on earth. It's like finding change on the floor, if I see pennies or dimes on the floor and I waste my time picking it up - yes it's money but at the end of the year I made less than $700 was it worth it? I'm walking around there picking up dirty change on the floor and have to constantly wash my hands and have people look at me like I'm some bum on the street walking around looking for change.

opinion propagandized by those people who want to make money through a copywriting

Yes yes the evil "Big Content" Illuminati - the shadow council of the internet... LOL

Perhaps spun content is simply unread-able for real users. And If you know deep down that the content you are creating aren't bringing value to your visitors then aren't you just a spammer littering the internet? It's one thing to have spammed back in the day when spamming was easy to make quick cash, but the quick cash is literally that - quick cash. You are suppose to use that to build up proper assets and build a a business you are proud of that you can flip or retire or whatever - eventually going legit.

Where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years? Spamming still? If so - really? I did my time in the spamming trenches, was fun made a lot of money but it was temporarily cause, #1 nothing last forever, and #2 it's a ton of work, you can only go so long of building and destroying until you get burnt out. If you are spamming till you are 40, 50, 60, or 80 years old and look back at your life and ask what you did with it will it be worth it? Especially when half your time was spent simply rebuilding what was lost.

If you can't tell your family/friends what you do WITH pride - what's your purpose?

"I liter the internet with unreadable bullshit for pennies."

"Oh okay."

"I've been doing it for 5-10 years and plan on doing for another 5-20 years."

"Perfect, sounds great, sounds like you got your life in order."

--
At a certain point you have to ask yourself what you want to do with your life, but if somehow spamming the internet is literally your only way of a livelihood... well...

Spam to build up a bankroll, if it's still possible, but don't make it a career. You have to know when it's time to move on.

You made less than $700 for the year? How is that quite a bit of money?

Agreed it's not great money, but don't forget - these sites took me less than 5 minutes to create and I have not touched them since, apart from renewing the domain each year if they are still earning. If you have the patience to scale the process, they can be profitable, but you do just end up chasing your tail all the time trying to cover your tracks.

I have had single sites that have made well over $6k in their short lifetime, plus a whole bunch that have made $0.06! :smile:

I don't want to persue this method any more though - it's a bit soul destroying to wake up having had 100's of site deindexed and having to start again. Authority sites are the way to go.

You're here to sloppily spam a forum in order to promote spam. I hope you're better at SEO than marketing... Even the username, "Serp Farmteam", you have to know that makes it sound like you're in the minor leagues, right?

The issue here isn't that you run a polarizing business, it's the way you're approaching the forum, it's kind of disrespectful.

"I'll bring value to the forum, AFTER you let me out of Orientation-Mode"... That's backwards, and not how this works. That's why you've only managed to scrape together one like so far after hundreds of views. You need to post things that people like in order to get access to the rest of the forum, and you haven't done that...

Which brings up a recurring theme:

You're posting things on this forum that are not worth reading, which prevents you from sharing a case study about flooding the internet with more things that aren't worth reading.

Let that sink in for a second.

Maybe if you ask @The Engineer real nicely he'll hit the reset button and you can take a more earnest approach at this, but judging by the accounts you created on a handful of other forums at the same time as here, you've probabally got a full plate.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a paid shill for Big Content. A professional propagandist, here to trick people into thinking there's value in having words on websites that are actually worth reading, so that I can sell a word for ten cents that stops you from selling a website for ten cents.

Anyways, I gotta go, we get terrible WiFi here at the Bohemian Grove, plus the sun's about to come up, and we all know what sunlight does to a Shadow...

Last edited:
they can be profitable
soul destroying to wake up having had 100's of site deindexed and having to start again.

"It's profitable, but I don't do it because it's soul crushing..." Uhh... You haven't stated how many sites you own, nor the profit margins. $700, across how many sites? 50, 75, or 100? Plus hosting costs? $1 for a domain and $1 a month for hosting = $13 a year in costs, plus any extras bits here and there. At 50-100 domains that's $650 - $1300 a year for costs. So $50 to -$650 in end profits?

Using the 50 to 100 domains numbers, that's $7-$14 in revenue A YEAR per domain. To make $40,000 a year you would need to manage 2,858 to 5,715 domains - and you still haven't factored in operating costs for domains/host - nor your time.

But let's say my $13 for operation costs are too high, and you can get domains for $0.25 for registration and $0.25 a month for hosting - that's $3.25 total for costs per domain. With 2,858 domains that's $9,288.5 in costs a year, at 5,715 domains that's $18,573.75 in costs a year.

So to make that $40,000 a year, you'll be taking a $9,288.50 to $18,573.75 hit in costs, giving you about $21,426.25 to $30,711.5 a year in revenue. Uhh... Like I said you might as well go get a construction job cause you'll make way more money with way less headaches then this picking up coins off the street operation.

Until you provide actual numbers on how much it costs to operate this ~$700 in revenue a year it's all pie in the sky dreams.

The real problem is you are giving some hope to people that they can scale without telling them the costs side of the equation. How much does that operation cost you in domain fees hosting, CDNs, upgrades etc. At that point people can make up their minds whether "it works" or "it's profitable".

if you really have to register and manage 2,800 to 5,800+ domains to make some decent 1st world "okay, I'm poor but first-world poor, yet 3rd-world rich" money, what's the point? And I can assure you managing that many domains, hostings packages, and CDNs, and operation you are going to be actually spending your time doing day-to-day operations therefore the "no work for me" part goes out the door quickly.

Anyone thinking of this should really do the numbers before hand on how much something like this will really cost you to operate, including any time it takes to manage this operation - which will result in lost opportunity costs of more profitable and less headache business opportunities. Even if you spend 10 hours a week on this operation, that's 10 hours a week (520 hours a year) you could have been doing something more profitable AND more valuable to you as a person.

Here is my eBay Partner Network report from last year with the thin sites I keep running because they are still indexed and are still earning (only 4 sites in total).
Look - I am not getting into an argument over this :smile:

I am also hoping you are not confusing me with the OP.

All I am saying is that if you have the right mindset, coding ability, grit and you are the type of person who can get past losing all of your sites overnight, then this sort of spam can be profitable and probably always will be.

I am not doing this any more as I don't have the right mindset for it.

then this sort of spam can be profitable and probably always will be.

How long did it take to dwindle to the 4 sites? How many sites did you go through? 5000, 2000, 1000, 500, 100? Over the course of how many month, years? Surely you didn’t start out with 4 sites and are making $700. If you had it wouldn’t be “soul crushing”. You aren’t factoring all those losses. You started out with a lot of sites, unknown number, that all fizzled out and except for 4 after several X amount of months/years. What were those costs in hosting and domains? Cause you are only showing the “end result of a long failed journey” yet still claiming it was profitable... How?

If you had 2,000 domains ($2000 per year at $1 domain registration) for 2-5 years plus hosting costs ($13 per year for hosting per domain = $26,000 per year - seems like a lot, even if you were to get $0.25 per month that is still $6500 a year in hosting), which dwindled to down to 4 over the course of that mystery timeframe to get to $700 a year in revenue it technically was still unprofitable for you?

It might take you another 5-30 years to be profitable or at least re-coup your costs, no? Or am I missing something?

Even if you only did it for 1 year that’s $8500 in costs - it’ll take you another 12 years to break even. Numbers don’t lie. I didn’t even factor in your own time as a cost.

You keep claiming “profitable”, so I will keep asking “how profitable”? And if you can’t show numbers then you are spreading false hope. You are doing a disservice to your fellow community members.

then this sort of spam can be profitable and probably always will be.

But is this even right? Like CCarter said, you haven't explained how much it costs to actually do. If someone thinks that they can spam it up and make a few thousand without doing much I bet they're going to get pretty excited about it. So you may be leading people on if there are large costs associated with it that you failed to mention.

Look - I am not getting into an argument over this

He's contesting a claim you made. You can either back it up or not. I think it really is important to drill down on this. Is it profitable or not? How profitable? What are the costs associated with your operation? I personally don't know what to believe.

Granted, I don't know much about this and I don't have any experience with it. Maybe serp farm team should explain it here instead of trying to tease some case study. I'll read it. Unless they are trying to trick people then it shouldn't be much of an issue to lay it out there for us.

smells like some hidden self promotion to me.

Is it hidden? You noticed it. But that's not even the issue here.

you need to post things that people like in order to get access to the rest of the forum

Exactly. The issue for me is the promotion coupled with absolutely no value. But this may be inherent in what they are doing. Maybe it is impossible to add value with their spam business?

@Tao simply said he has 4 sites left over from his days doing this and they still make nearly $1K a year without him doing anything. It's interesting. Why try to crucify him for that? :wonder:

@Tao simply said he has 4 sites left over from his days doing this and they still make nearly $1K a year without him doing anything. It's interesting. Why try to crucify him for that? :wonder:

Cause he is saying it's still profitable for others to do - without giving the costs it took him. Making $1k a year after spending $26K+ doesn't seem smart. But we don't know what it costs since he won't give those numbers, and therefore results in false hope. He is saying it's profitable without evidence - that is the problem.

Geez..
Ok - I will consider myself shot-down on this one as I have no evidence.
I can't prove anything as I didn't keep any records for these sites.

I get what you are saying @CCarter and will consider my responses more in future.

Still interested to see how this thread turns out for OP though.

I can attest mass generated sites work for my needs to generate inbound phone calls for my lead gen clients, HOWEVER, there are sites that are less "thin" that I am working on creating, and the hosting is dirt cheap through S3, since Google now favors Amazon servers over Wordpress installs.

I've reverted back to spitting out thousands of HTML pages at 4kb a piece opposed to 90MB WP installs, and the traffic is much cleaner.

Yes, mass pages work, but not like it did back in the Shadowmaker days.

Adapt or die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to call it a day...

600_5b10d18e-e84d-44cd-9535-055974533109.gif

@CCarter in all my time seeing this gif posted across the internet, this is the first time I saw the shadow "reeling" the fishing reel.

Shoulda known it was fake.

_____

So wanted to jump into the convo too... lol

I use to do this myself back in the day... around 2003-2007. I even coded up a custom Wordpress zip file that would do 99% of the work on the content and installation side.

It just doesn't work like it use to.

I talked about SERP Volatility in one of the guides/podcasts/blog entries at SERPWoo. About how if you aren't top 3, you can't really depend on SEO for income in a real business. I won't go into detail here why, but this is kinda the same thing going on in this convo.

If you can't depend on your site lasting in the SERP ( not because of bouncing, but penalties ), you cant depend on SEO for income. Not unless you wanna keep a JOB and make sites all day/week.

Sure you could automate it, but you get into other things too like... when Google finally puts the nail in the coffin what do you do? Or how do you tell your family and friends what you REALLY do without looking like scum?

I kinda look at it like forex/trading. Those who build these sites are just scalping the market, taking risks and earning very little. overall. The big winners are those understanding the market and knowing it so well they can place an entry at the right times and cash out big at the top.

You either know the market and understand it, or you try to scalp. The same is true for trading, as it is for SEO.

Back