Making money blogging about coding

Degree
Hey Everyone
I can tell many here are coders or have been coder's

Has anyone had a coding site of any sort and made money from it?

It's not the exciting world of fitness, make money or lead generation but still a very big industry.

Anyones experiences would be great to here :smile:

Never been a coder myself but due to work as the dayjob is in IT, its come to light I am needing to learn some for work and thought blogging about it while I learn could lead somewhere...? :smile:

Dude.

Post an hourly rate and your phone number on a domain name.
Raise your rates as you get better.

Everything beyond that is over thinking it.

Start with a meme specialty like wordpress and learn on the job lol.
You don't need to blog to make money with coding.
You need to sell coding to make money with coding.

Here's my practice what I preach sample lol.
Only advertising I do is an unbumped bst here and occasionally telling people the brand name irl.
http://unit0.com/
Also - Full endorsement for the bst section ad here - ROI on that ad is higher then my saases lol
Selling services converts with this crowd.

Last edited:
Dude.

Post an hourly rate and your phone number on a domain name.
Raise your rates as you get better.

Everything beyond that is over thinking it.

Correct. Don't think about anything but putting your hourly rate and phone number on a domain. Don't think about how people will find that domain. Don't think about how you'll convince them you're a talented and efficient coder. Don't think about how to project and build trust with your readers. Don't think about the fact that people trying to learn coding won't really be the demographic that ends up hiring you to code. Don't think at all! The money will come!

Yeah, I'm grouchy today, but you did oversimplify your advice and then actively exclude perhaps the most important parts.

If you build it, they will not come, unless they hear about it. And they won't buy unless they believe what you say about your product or service.

Someone like you can post a simple ad like that and have it pan out because you've already established a personal brand that has social validation, and you also build trust by offering advice in places like this, where your a portion of your potential customers also hang out.

@Rob Stone has zero coding experience or branding or authority. That advice simply isn't going to work for him, at least without playing a numbers game with advertising at the minimum.

Just having the balls to talk to people will get you far.
If you fuck up the first few calls its what ever. Eventually you will learn how to sell. Even if its just IT trouble shooting.

Amen to this. I've typed it a few times here +1 again:

The only other "entities" on this planet that have money are living human beings. Lot's of people in this industry get into it because they want to recede into the background, be recluses, and not deal with real people.

That can work, but you can really accelerate your path into the future by being willing to pick up the phone, have chats, do video conference calls, and drive out to real locations. It's something people have got to get over if they want to increase their chances of success drastically.

So many social cues can be picked up by posture, facial expressions, eye contact, tone of voice, the way we dress and carry ourselves. These are great tools we can use, but at minimal it requires picking up the phone or some kind of voice chat.

Thanks Guys, i do appreciate the advise from both of you :smile: indeed.

Ryuzaki - I am a full time IT guy and at 45 and in theory could be made redundant in the next year or so (was actually safe from the last redundancies as I support a building of 1000 people, where many of my team mates were let go).

So I need to expand my IT skills and a particular avenue at work relies on Java/Software Testing as half the building are in those roles and none have been made redundant in this climate whereas other roles within a large company have been impacted.

Before Google's Penguin I ranked in the top 3 for remote control cars, rc cars in the UK and did pretty well but not ranked a site since then. Having little interest apart from the gym, it seemed like a good idea to create a site to follow along what I am doing for my day job role.

So I won't be someone looking for leads for quite some time (not saying it wont happen) but looking to expand my future before the IT Support world goes down the pan even more with the amount of work now being pushed offshore or just minimal face to face in general.

A total thanks to you both and anything else you put I will be reading, I am enjoying learning to code.. its either that or Cyber Security where many people just refuse to change.. not me

Thanks again guys

@Rob Stone, that world of coding bloggers is real interesting. It's it's own microcosm with a strong presence on Twitter, real welcoming subreddits on Reddit, etc. You can definitely get attention.

There's always some break out star too that ends up having some smash software that does good and blogs about that to get respect. And then they drop some e-book on the whole community and make a quick $50k, etc.

If you can drum up a buzz and then quickly capitalize on it, you can definitely sell to other coders. They really like transparency too, so a follow along journey will look good, though I doubt they'll actually read it. But later on when you execute a money-making plan, it'll help validate you as trustworthy.

Thanks again. Yeah.. I can't see anything reading the content lol it's not the most interesting content by far even for a learning or pro no doubt but in my mind it could bring traffic and see what occurs.

I will obviously being doing the YouTube thing to lol that's for sure :smile:

Lot's of people in this industry get into it because they want to recede into the background, be recluses, and not deal with real people.

cover6.jpg

Back