Looking to Sell My Blog - Need Help

Degree
Hey,

I’m looking into selling my blog, mainly because I have less free time and I'm not as passionate about blogging as I once was. I have kind of been out of the loop recently, but is a 40x evaluation of the average of the last 6 months’ income still a good evaluation? Or has it gone up/down?

Other questions:
  1. Is empire flippers generally the place to sell? I know nothing about the selling process and want it handled for me, but I also don’t want to be taken advantage of.
  2. Am I released of any potential website liability once the website is sold? (I’m paranoid)
  3. My name is currently attached to the website and ideally I'd like it removed once it sells. Would that be a deal-breaker for a lot of potential buyers?
Thanks for your time,
Titan243

36x is your baseline valuation, preferably over the last 12 months revenue. Factors that can influence it are whether or not traffic and revenue or trending up or down, if there's room for growth and immediate revenue improvement, etc.

Empire Flippers appears to be great and to do a great job, and they earn their commission, which is the hands-off experience you're looking for. But don't let them gas you up with the talk of 55x multiples and all that nonsense. I did a write-up about it here, but I'll summarize in this post.

They list at ~55x and have to continually reduce the price until they come back down to reality, which they tell you if you read between the lines with their own data they provide:

iHbkIA8.png

If you need to get into structured payouts and all that, Empire Flippers will handle that for you, too, ensuring you don't have to chase down your money. They do all the legal stuff, like any broker worth their weight.

No, you're not going to be released from any liability in the sense that the new owner can always sue you in civil court, and if something criminal was going on, you're going to get dragged into that, too. You can probably make it easy on yourself by selling to someone outside of your continent, and if the price isn't really high, there'd be a huge barrier into coming after you. The best move, of course, would to not be doing things that could get you or the buyer in trouble.

Removing your name could be a deal breaker. I just sold a site and it was a deal breaker. I had to keep the current anonymized name on there (it wasn't my name), because they don't want any fans of the site to realize it was sold. They want zero disruptions to all the social media and all that. So the author names had to stay the same. You could go ahead and change it now if it's easy (unless it's in your domain name), before you list the site for sale.

Back