Looking for a new challange

Degree
Hi Everyone,

I came across this forum by accident, checked out a few threads and immediately felt like I stumbled onto something valuable! :smile:
I have been working in the affiliate industry for around 5 years, worked for a coupon website where I learned about SEO, conversion optimisation and PPC. I worked a lot with Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Propeller Ads and data analytical tools (multiple trackers, Google Analytics, Data Studio and QuickSight).
At first it was quite a challenge to figure out how to properly track conversions for paid ads when you are actually working as an affiliate, but after getting that to work I quickly learned how to create very profitable campaigns.

Now, I wanna get started with my own thing though. I am thinking about focusing more on SEO than PPC, which is why I am hoping to find great insights and advise on this forum. So far what I read seemed very insightful.

I am looking forward to learn a lot!

Degree
Do any of you have some tips what I should pay attention to when it comes to SEO?
I know keyword research is highly important and then writing good and relevant content.
Any other tips how I can make my site rank very high? I read that site speed is also very important, I seem to struggle with that one a little... Could you maybe recommend some nice Word Press plugins or other tools that can help with that? I already compressed my images but my site still doesn't have perfect scores when I test it with Google Chrome. Could it be due to my WordPress landing page theme?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Hi, @Aqulp. Glad to have you aboard.

If you haven't seen it, let me direct your attention to the BuSo Digital Strategy Crash Course. It has answers to every question you asked. I don't want to dismiss your questions, though they are some pretty big whoppers to answer, being so broad. I'll try to give you some quick answers here, but you can find all of those topics discussed in-depth in the Crash Course.

Any other tips how I can make my site rank very high?
It boils down to three things:
  1. On-Page SEO
  2. Off-Page SEO
  3. Technical SEO
So On-Page is basically the "triggers" you add to your content to make sure Google knows how relevant the page is for a certain search term. Off-Page is backlinks and social signals. Technical SEO is stuff like crawling, indexing, and site speed. All you need to do is get these three things right and you'll win. And trust me when I say, it's far easier than it appears. We make it sound hard. The only hard thing is putting in the work.

Could you maybe recommend some nice Word Press plugins or other tools that can help with that? [...] Could it be due to my WordPress landing page theme?
Yes, it can be your theme. Some themes are coded poorly and demand way too many resources to be downloaded by the user. But there are still things you can do with any theme that can help. Read the Page Speed Optimization day of the Crash Course.

Things to consider are not-loading resources you don't need (the main culprit is too many plugins). Image resizing and file size compression (you did this). You can enable server-side caching so that all the PHP and MySQL (since you're talking about Wordpress) is calculated and crunched BEFORE the user ever needs it, and then the server sends them the resulting HTML instead of having to dig into the database. You can also add in G-Zip and Minification to make file sizes even smaller.

That's a small sampling of what's possible with page speed. Most of it you can get done with a plugin like WP Super Cache (my recommendation on caching plugins). Just enabling that with the default settings will make a huge difference.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I was thinking yesterday about how I would explain to a potential clients which factors where the most important for SEO in 2020 and I decided on:

Keyword in Title tag - 20%
Content Quality - 40%
Linkbuilding - 40%

With content quality, I don't mean some arbitrary measure, I mean hitting Google's intent and contextual triggers.

Keyword in Title tag is sort of an old and anachronistic thing, but I got to say, this is still really important, while keyword in the actual text isn't. For some reason, Google still really values that. It's something that can be used efficiently for long tail content.

Linkbuilding is important, but not at all as much as it used to be. I have sites with 30 referring domains outranking domains with 300 referring domains. My content is better. My user metrics are better. I see linkbuilding more as needing to get to page 1. When you're at page 1, you can begin to compete by user metrics and be ranked higher by outcompeting the opposition on fullfillign user intent.

Degree
Thank you both so much for your great answers! It is good to see that I am already on the right path. I will do some further research on caching and site speed.
I find link building quite challenging. So far I mostly got nofollow links and only one very good dofollow link. I already rank pretty well on some keywords but I want to also rank very high on the most competitive keywords of my industry. I believe I have to improve all the aspects you mentioned in order to exceed the competition.
Again thank you! Your reactions are quite motivating.